This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

[solved] Log flooded with INVALID_MESSAGE_ID errors

Hi to all !

As I got no idea, why I see this error and how to resolve it, I hope somebody from the board can help me.
I've got several IPSec site-to-site Tunnels
One throws me the following errors every 2 seconds

2017:08:21-11:09:25 vpn pluto[23586]: "S_XXXXXX_VPN_IPsec" #53: Quick Mode I1 message is unacceptable because it uses a previously used Message ID 0x276091ae (perhaps this is a duplicated packet)
2017:08:21-11:09:25 vpn pluto[23586]: "S_XXXXXX_VPN_IPsec" #53: sending encrypted notification INVALID_MESSAGE_ID to EXTERNAL_IP_OF_REMOTEGW:500

I got two SAs over this tunnel, both work, so I wonder, what this error is about and how I could get rid of it.

Best Regards

Ranx

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Hello Ranx,

i had a smiliar Problem, could be solved by updating all UTMs that take part in the VPN to the most current firmware 9.602-3.

Regards

Jason

Sophos Certified Architect - UTM

• Hello Jason,
    to be true, I did not really believe, this would fix the issue ...
    ... but yes, you're right !
    After updating to the latest firmware, the errors are gone.
    Thanks a lot for this valuable hint !
    Best Regards
    ranX

• Hi Ranx,

very nice. Have nice day.

Regards

Jason

• Hi all,

many thanks for your answers, you are giving me a hope.

I'll try to update to the lastest available firmware 9.602-3.

I let you know when done.

Kind regards.

Max.

• Hi all,

unfortunately installing updates (upgraded to 9.603-1) don't solve the problem. :-(

INVALID_MESSAGE_ID errors still persist and the tunnel goes down periodically.

Any other idea?

Kind regards.

Max.

• Re check all Parameters of the vpn to be the same om both UTMs

Regards

Jason

• Hi Jason,

unfortunatelly we don't have control at the remote side.

The only thing we know is that the other party has a Checkpoint firewall and on UTM log I found several message like this:

cannot respond to IPsec SA request because no connection is known for <local net>===<local pub IP>...<remote pub IP>===10.0.0.0/8

10.0.0.0/8 is out of the scope of the agreed policy and they don't want to change because it could break other tunnels at their side.

It seems our tunnel be part of a common configuration on their firewall.

Probably they will be able to move our tunnel on a separate configuration and so change the private network range to the same value used by our side.

I let you know.

Regards.

Max.

• Ciao Max,

Your conflict can likely be solved with a combination of 1:1 Source and Destination NATs.  What are your internal subnets in 10.0.0.0/8 and do you need to reach the same subnet(s) on the other site? 

Just a comment about using 10/8 - it's ridiculous for a single location to use the entire /8.  Very large companies should use subnets in 10/8, but never the entire /8.  Subnets in 192.168.0.0/16 should be reserved for homes and public hotspots.  Almost every other organization, regardless of size, should use subnets in 172.16/12.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Ciao Max,

Your conflict can likely be solved with a combination of 1:1 Source and Destination NATs.  What are your internal subnets in 10.0.0.0/8 and do you need to reach the same subnet(s) on the other site? 

Just a comment about using 10/8 - it's ridiculous for a single location to use the entire /8.  Very large companies should use subnets in 10/8, but never the entire /8.  Subnets in 192.168.0.0/16 should be reserved for homes and public hotspots.  Almost every other organization, regardless of size, should use subnets in 172.16/12.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
Children
  • Hi Bob,

the 10.0.0.0/8 is the network coming from the remote side despite I had agreed with the remote party to use a specific subnet.

I discovered this looking on the ipsec.log file because the tunnel goes down almost every day.

Unfortunately (what I was able to know) the remote party configured our VPN tunnel on the same checkpoint profile used for other parties with 10.0.0.0/8 network.

Changing this configuration in order to have a dedicated VPN profile will be disruptive and must be planned but I guess it will solve the problem.

I let you know if the story will have a good ending.

Max.

• Hi folk, I'm very happy because the remote party has changed the VPN profile with the correct networks and the problem disappeared!

Many thanks for your suggestions.

Max.