This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Does UTM 9.5 in transparent mode support SSL VPN remote access with web filtering?

I have looked and looked but I can't find the answer anywhere.

Currently I am running UTM 9.5 in gateway mode and have the remote access enabled, using SSL VPN so that I can connect to the internet (and browse the internet) through the VPN server when I am on an unsecured network. This is a better alternative than using a third party VPN service as it's free and I can utilize the web filtering and antivirus capabilities of the UTM.

What I want to do is use my existing router as the DHCP server and place the UTM in transparent mode but I don't know if I can still have remote access. There is FULL transparent mode which I thought would be incapable of assigning the VPN pool address range, but what about standard transparent mode? I can set up port forwarding (TCP port 443) from the router to the UTM, but is the UTM in transparent mode operating at layer 2 (MAC address) or layer 3 (IP address)?

I'd also want to use a second router as a wireless access point and a switch on the LAN interface.

I also can't determine if I NEED a crossover cable or not.

I have three or more network interfaces and can utilize full transparent mode, but I want to be able to:

1. Use a router as the DHCP server/ main firewall

2. Proxy all traffic through the UTM for web filtering / antivirus AND have SSL VPN for remote access to browse the internet from unsecured public networks and be able to use the web filtering when connected to the VPN server.

So basically, can the UTM assign a VPN pool even when not in gateway mode?

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Short answer, yes. It can assign a VPN-pool (after you port forward the VPN-ports from your router to the Sophos UTM) and it can have web filtering for those VPN-clients.

You say you want to use a 2nd router as an access point, but why use a router and not a real access point? If using a router you may want to look how you could configure this router to not function as a router but as a switch (or simply don't use the WAN port and disable DHCP on that router itself).

The UTM will always be able to inspect traffic whether or not it is in full transparent mode, so it's much higher into the OSI layer it will just not route traffic between a WAN and a LAN side but be in the same subnet.

You cannot determine whether or not you need a crossover cable; not sure between which devices (UTM and ...) you are talking, but a good guess is that you don't need one, since more and more devices have auto MDI/MDIX.

If you have any more questions please ask them as specific as possible and try to use a separate thread for each question.

Managing several Sophos firewalls both at work and at some home locations, dedicated to continuously improve IT-security and feeling well helping others with their IT-security challenges.

• Thank you for replying.  I have a router with DD-WRT installed and I simply disabled DHCP and assigned the wan port to switch so that I can use it as a wireless access point / managed switch but it is not operating as a DHCP server. I was looking into a separate access point on it's own interface using a third network card, but I want to use my existing equipment.

• Thank you for replying.  I have a router with DD-WRT installed and I simply disabled DHCP and assigned the wan port to switch so that I can use it as a wireless access point / managed switch but it is not operating as a DHCP server. I was looking into a separate access point on it's own interface using a third network card, but I want to use my existing equipment.

Children
No Data