This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

High CPU usage at nightly Replication (snort & openvpn)

Hello,

we are replicating our main Servers every night to our external Datacenter

i noticed that for the time of the replication, the cpu of the UTM in the Datacenter went up to 100%.

If i check the precesses with TOP I can see that mainly openvpn and snort are consuming the ressources.

I created a exception under Intrusion Prevention -> Exception and
excluded the effected Servers but nothing changed regarding snort.

I ended up excluding the whole Network, but nothing happend.
Only if i turn off Intrusion Prevention, Snort will disappear from Top

regarding openvpn

we have created a SSL Site-to-Site VPN with compression on at first place. I changed that to Compression off but nothing changed.
Openvpn stays on 45% if Intrusion Preventuion is turned on and ~ 85 % if Intrusion Prevention is turned off.

Is there a way to get the CPU down?
Why is the Snort process consuming CPU after i created a exception?

Our configuration is a active/passive cluster SG310 at the office and a ASG120 at the Datacenter.
Both are Firmware 9.413-4
The Transferred Data at night is between 5 and 12 GB and take 1-3 hours

i would be glad if one could help

thx

Odi

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • The SSL VPN is not as efficient with TCP Protocol.  If you must use the SSL VPN, change the Protocol to UDP.  You are correct to leave compression off with an underpowered device like the 120.

Rather than the SSL VPN, I would use IPsec with the "AES-128 PFS" policy for the best throughput and security.  Also, I would use X509 certs or RSA keys instead of a PSK.  See How to create an X509 key based Site-to-Site VPN and/or How to Establish Site-to-Site VPN Connection using RSA Keys.

In any case, it sounds like your Exception for Snort in the 120 is not configured correctly.  Please show a picture of the Edit.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Would the remote snort instance need to ignore the VPN server IP rather than the internal server IPs?  When snort processes the packets they are still within the VPN tunnel.  It would not see the server src IPs.

• Actually, when it comes to Snort, things are trickier than the "general" packet flow described in #2 in Rulz.  In the case of flow through a VPN, the packets are inspected by Snort after they leave the tunnel.  As the second image in Rulz shows, IPS happens only once to a packet, but it happens at different times.

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Actually, when it comes to Snort, things are trickier than the "general" packet flow described in #2 in Rulz.  In the case of flow through a VPN, the packets are inspected by Snort after they leave the tunnel.  As the second image in Rulz shows, IPS happens only once to a packet, but it happens at different times.

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA
Children
No Data