This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

IKE and IPsec SA lifetime Values

According to the help file within the Sophos UTM 220, acceptable values for SA Lifetime are:

IKE
Valid values are between 60 sec and 28800 sec (8 hrs). The default value is 7800 seconds

IPSec
Valid values are between 60 sec and 86400 sec (1 day). The default value is 3600 seconds.

From everything I gathered, the Lifetime for IKE ( Phase 1 ) should ALWAYS be greater than the Lifetime for IPSec.

If that is true, Why does the help file indicate IPSec has a vlaid range to 86400 and IKE a valid range to only 28800 ?

Is it simply the help file is BACKWARDS ?

Other products indicate a preferred value of IKE (Phase1) Lifetime of 86400.

On most of my VPN connections ( more than 100 ) I am using a value of 28800 for Phase1 (IKE) and 86400 for Phase2 ( IPSec).

Apparently I have been doing this wrong.

Phase2 should be less that Phase1 ; so I should flip the values and disregard the help file.

Is Phase1(IKE) of 86400 and Phase2(IPSec) 28800 an ok setting ?
The default of 7800 and 3600 seem to short too me.

Thanks

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • I think the reason that one usually makes the IKE SA lifetime longer is because rekeying represents a much heavier load than rekeying the IPsec lifetime.

If rekeying the IKE SAs every 8 hours hasn't put too much of a load on the UTM, then I'd be tempted to leave it there.  Although rekeying the IPsec SA isn't "free" in terms of resource usage, I'd be tempted to specify some number under four hours and closer to one.

That said, there's a trade-off between performance and security, and you know your requirements better than we can.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Hi Bob - thanks for your input.

I agree with everything you are saying.

My confusion is the help file indicates you can only set the IKE SA to a MAXIMUM of 28800 or 8hrs.

I think it should be 24 hrs or 86400.  But even though you can type that number in the lifetime field is it REALLY set for 24 hours?  Since the help indicates it is NOT valid.

I have asked this of Sophos support - but have not heard back yet.

Anyone know how to confirm the rekeying takes place according to what is set in the lifetime field?

Thanks
  • You can see the value stored for "AES-128 PFS" with  cc get_object_by_name ipsec policy 'AES-128 PFS'.  If that says 86400, you will need to check the log.  Search for ike to see if rekeying happens 3-to-4 times in a day, or just once.  Please report your result here.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • The cc get_object command for the policy I am using reflects the settings I made in the GUI.

'autoname' => 0,
              'class' => 'ipsec',
                          'ike_auth_alg' => 'sha1',
                          'ike_dh_group' => 'modp1024',
                          'ike_enc_alg' => 'aes256',
                          'ike_sa_lifetime' => 28800,
                          'ipsec_auth_alg' => 'sha1',
                          'ipsec_compression' => 0,
                          'ipsec_enc_alg' => 'aes256',
                          'ipsec_pfs_group' => 'null',
                          'ipsec_sa_lifetime' => 86400,
                          'ipsec_strict_policy' => 0,
                                              },
              'hidden' => 0,
              'lock' => '',
              'nodel' => '',
                       'type' => 'policy'

You see that I have IKE = 28800 and ipsec = 86400.
    ( in my opinion should be IKE = 86400 and ipsec = 3600 )

I cannot search for IKE in the logs as I have thousands of entry's due to a customer changing equipment on their end of one of the tunnels and is not matching my end somehow.

Mostly just "ignoring informational payload, type NO_PROPOSAL_CHOSEN"
    and
    starting keying attempt 5108 of an unlimited number
    #547701: initiating Quick Mode PSK+ENCRYPT+TUNNEL+PFS+UP to replace #547645 {using isakmp#526754}

I think I answered my only question - when trying to enter a very large number for SA Lifetime, I get this message for BOTH IKE and IPSec:

The IPsec policy object requires a number in the range 60-86400 for the IKE SA lifetime attribute 

So the Help file is just incorrect.

Best setting for most cases is: IKE = 86400 and ipsec = 3600 

Now on to figure out WHY one customer is flooding my VPN logs.

Dave