This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

SSL VPN site to site to OpenVPN client

I'm trying to establish an SSL VPN connection between UTM9 (server) and OpenVPN on ASUS RT-AC56U router (client), but I can't seem to get it to work. 
I've created a host cert using the UTM CA. Exported CA-cert public and private keys to the  ASUS router. As I havn't found any .apc to .ovpn conversion utility I've had to add settings manually. 

The UTM log says:

VERIFY OK: depth=1  
VERIFY OK: depth=0 ... CN=
TLS Error: Auth Username/Password was not provided by peer
TLS Error: TLS handshake failed
Fatal TLS error (check_tls_errors_co), restarting

On the ASUS router:
VERIFY OK: depth=1  
VERIFY OK: depth=0 .... CN=
Connection reset, restarting [0]

Is username/password required for site to site VPN's? The OpenVPN settings on the ASUS router is set to not use "Username/Password authentication".
I've also tried multiple ASUS firmwares (Merlin, Tomato) but I get the same error.

Any guides available for setting up SSL VPN site to site with anything besides another UTM?

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Hi Innovatum,

I've recently worked on this issue using UTM 9.601-5 with an Asus RT-66U_B1 using Asuswrt-Merlin 384.9 firmware. This is what worked for me.

1. Setup SSL Remote Access on the UTM using the Remote Access via SSL and VPN Configuration Guide. community.sophos.com/.../116038

2. Verify your SSL remote connection is working using the Sophos SSL VPN client software.

3. Login into the UTM User Portal using your SSL username > Remote Access > "download the configuration file to set up SSL VPN on Linux, MacOS X, BSD or Solaris" save the .ovpn file.

4. Login into the Asus Router > VPN > VPN Client > Import .ovpn file > Upload.

5. Enable "Automatic start at boot time".

6. Under "Authentication Settings" input your UTM SSL username / password and Apply.

7. Turn "Service state" to on and verify VPN connection status.

Good luck!

• Hi Innovatum,

I've recently worked on this issue using UTM 9.601-5 with an Asus RT-66U_B1 using Asuswrt-Merlin 384.9 firmware. This is what worked for me.

1. Setup SSL Remote Access on the UTM using the Remote Access via SSL and VPN Configuration Guide. community.sophos.com/.../116038

2. Verify your SSL remote connection is working using the Sophos SSL VPN client software.

3. Login into the UTM User Portal using your SSL username > Remote Access > "download the configuration file to set up SSL VPN on Linux, MacOS X, BSD or Solaris" save the .ovpn file.

4. Login into the Asus Router > VPN > VPN Client > Import .ovpn file > Upload.

5. Enable "Automatic start at boot time".

6. Under "Authentication Settings" input your UTM SSL username / password and Apply.

7. Turn "Service state" to on and verify VPN connection status.

Good luck!

Children
No Data