This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Is an IPSec Host to Host VPN Possible with Virtual IP Gateway Address

Hi 

I have a Sophos UTM 9 which I need to setup a Site to site VPN with another site and they want to use private addressing to establish the tunnel.
I've run out of interfaces on the UTM, and I created an additional address  on the eth1 using the gateway address they want to use (10.250.50.A).

Is it possible to setup Site to site using an additional address on eth1? After setting up the tunnel the SA and the VPN ID both show the primary Public address of eth1 (4.2.2.50) and not the additional address I had setup for this (10.250.50.A).

SA: 192.168.2.X/32=4.2.2.50 10.250.50.B=172.1.1.37/32
VPN ID: 4.2.2.50

Thanks for any advice!

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • The 10.x.y.z address is not routable over the public Internet.  Also, your example shows only a tunnel for 192.168.2.x to 172.1.1.37, as both are /32, and 172.1.1.37 is a public IP.  So, I'm totally confused as to what you are trying to accomplish.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Sorry for the misrepresentation. 

I was trying to use 192.168.2.X and 172.1.1.37 as private IP address representations to obscure the real IPs.
     Everything is supposed to be over private IP addresses, and the VPN tunnel is accross a fiberchannel link that connects both sites.
    Perhaps this is a better representation:

SA: 192.168.2.192/32=4.2.2.50 10.250.50.42=172.16.16.37/32
    VPN ID: 4.2.2.50

Instead of 4.2.2.50, I need it to be 10.250.50.41, which is an additional address on the same interface with 4.2.2.50 (the primary address).
  • I'm still confused.  If there's an existing link, can't you just add 10.250.50.41, skip the VPN and simply make a gateway route '172.16.16.3/32 via 10.250.50.42'?  The other side might also want you to masq the 192.168 IP or SNAT the traffic from 10.250.50.41, but, as I said, I'm still confused.

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Hi Bob

Sorry for the late reply. 
    What you describe is what I suggested to the other side, but they want security, and they believe the best means is an IPSec VPN tunnel.
  • I think you need to NAT your local subnet into the tunnel.
    You can use the provided subnet as your local subnet and the create a SNAT rule Internal (network) -> any -> External (Network) where you SNAT your internal subnet to the provided subnet.

Managing several Sophos firewalls both at work and at some home locations, dedicated to continuously improve IT-security and feeling well helping others with their IT-security challenges.

• SA: 192.168.2.192/32=4.2.2.50 10.250.50.42=172.16.16.37/32

I'm still confused - I appreciate that you're trying to communicate securely, but there just are not enough coherent details for me to be able to picture what you want.

I think I agree with apijnappels, but I doubt that you want to use 10.250.50.41 as an Additional Address.  Then again, I can't "see" your topology, connectivity, etc.

Do you have anything more on the other side than a single IP that you want to reach?  How can a public IP like 42.2.250 ever get routed to the private IP 10.250.50.42?

Don't they just want all traffic from you to go through the tunnel and have it appear to come from a single IP?

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Hi Bob, apijnappels

I dont expect to be able to connect to more than a single IP on the other side. What I posted is what the VPN is currently configured as, and I'd like to be able to make the 4.2.2.50 go away and replace it with 10.250.50.42 instead.
    Currently 10.250.50.42 is an additional IP on the interface whose primary IP address is 4.2.2.50. 
    If this isnt possible, do I have to dedicate another interface solely for 10.250.50.42? I'd rather not...

I really hope I am making more sense to you and I apologize if I am not.
  • Apology accepted. Please tell us what you want to accomplish, instead of the solution that you had imagined.

Cheers - Bob

Sorry for any short responses.  Posted from my iPhone.

MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • If i'm correctly interpreting your post what you have to do is to make sure that the IP-address you send out to the other party is not your own internal subnet but they want your traffic to always come from 10.250.50.42.

You can achieve this by setting 10.250.50.42/32 as your local subnet (only allowing this 1 IP-address).
    You would also need to create the following SNAT rule:

Internal (network) -> any -> External subnet where your source has to be NATTED to 10.250.50.42

You cannot hide your real external IP, because this is simply one end of the tunnel, but you can hide your own internal IP-range and use the provided addres for this using SNAT.
    I have a similar connection in place for connecting to one of our customers.

Managing several Sophos firewalls both at work and at some home locations, dedicated to continuously improve IT-security and feeling well helping others with their IT-security challenges.

• Hello Guys ,

Was just wondering in the User BB searching a hint to my problem and ran into this post , which looks a bit similar to my problem.
    In-charges/admins to kindly attach this post to a relevant one if not relevant here.

So... here the scenario.

We have our office with Sophos SG125 and we have a couple of testing machines from the vendor owned by us in our network.
    Vendor has a support center wherein via VPN they provide support,maintenance and upgrades for these testing machine.

Following are the VPN requirements :

Vendor wants to connect to machines at our premises via VPN , but via a NATTING , so that our internal LAN range is not revealed to them, they provide this to every customer.

My LAN Network : 192.168.50.0/24
    NW given by Vendor for NATTING: 10.28.4.200/29
    I have to use to IPs from above network for my 2 machines.

192.168.50.a to be NATTED to 10.28.4.202 (for eg)
    192.168.50.b to be NATTED to 10.28.4.203 (for eg)

Configurations :
    Hence I have done the following :

As above I have created an SNAT and a DNAT for my each machine.

DNAT :

Traffic From : Vendor Gateway
    Using service : Certain Ports
    Going to : 10.28.4.202 (as above)
    Change Destination to : 192.168.50.a

SNAT :

Traffic From : 192.168.50.a
    Using Service : Certain Ports
    Going to : Vendor Gateway
    Change Source to : 10.28.4.202 

Similarly for other machine.

IPSEC VPN Config :

Remote Gateway :

Gateway : Vendor Gateway
    Remote Networks : Vendor Network

IPSec Connection :

Remote Gateway : As above
    Local Interface : My_WAN

Local Networks : 10.28.4.200/29

Good part :
    Tunnel is working fine , connection established

Bad part : 

Traffic can go outside but cannot come in.
    The vendor is not able to access network (10.28.4.200/29).

Any insight on the above ???????????

[:S]

Regards,

Jeet J

Network Administrator

Sophos UTM SG 450,Sophos UTM SG 125 x 6, Sophos SEC,Sophos AP