This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

ssl VPN no Internet

Hello I can not get internet to work when connected to vpn for the life of me. Communication between other internal computers works fine but no internet.

OK i am on UTM 9

In SSL
- Created user in allowed Users and groups
- Local networks put in "internal network" and "any"
- Unchecked automatic firewall

In NAT created a new masquerading
vpn ssl pool --> external

In Firewall created 2 new rule
User --> Any --> Any
Vpn ssl pool --> any --> any

Now I have tried many different configurations but none worked.. But this is the setup that I read to allow internet traffic from vpn user.. I am so lost and frustrated.. Please help

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Do you have a transparent proxy?
    Which way do you test internet-connection?

What does the output of 'route print' (assuming a windows client) say when you are connected?

EDIT:
    Configure the local networks with 'internal network' OR 'any'. Not both!
  • Also, try #1 in Rulz.

Cheers - Bob
    PS Please remember always to state the exact version of UTM - 9.111-7?

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Do you have a transparent proxy?
    Which way do you test internet-connection?

What does the output of 'route print' (assuming a windows client) say when you are connected?

EDIT:
    Configure the local networks with 'internal network' OR 'any'. Not both!

I do not have anything enabled except firewall and ips..  When I first couldn't get it I reset my entire firewall and started from the beginning. to root out any issues that might be and setup my vpn first. but to my surprise it still didn't work.

I test the connection at another location through the internet.. I usually connect it and play around in the webadmin with different settings.

I have searched the firewall logs using my vpn pool ip address and have found nothing. I also searched the ips logs the same way but the only thing in my ips is a dos attack coming from my girlfriends iphone which is strange.. 107 attempts.. 

I only have my NAT rule for bittorrent which is working fine and the ssl firewall rule and a firewall rule for internal -> any -> any..  So really I don't have anything setup.. this is a brand new setup.

I haven't done a route print but I can try that tomorrow afternoon.. I have tried tracert and pring..  tracert stops at the utm and ping won't work outside my internal network.  I have also tried inputting my utm dns in remote advanced but that didn't do anything.  I am at a loss here.. i used to use the cisco vpn and worked fine but I have a windows 8 machine now and can't use it anymore.. so frustrating.
  • Also, try #1 in Rulz.

Cheers - Bob
    PS Please remember always to state the exact version of UTM - 9.111-7?

Yes, I reset my utm so no confusion would happen and the only thing in my ips is my girls iphone doing denial of service attacks from within my network.. very strange.. I am on 9.111-7..
  • Ok so i seem to have fixed it.. Don't understand it.. Anyway in remote access -> Advanced I made the dns server 8.8.8.8 and all of the sudden my internet is working through my vpn.  Does anybody know why.. if i put my local dns server it didn't work but when i put an outside dns server everything is working.. is my dns server messed up.
  • Is "VPN Pool (SSL)" in 'Allowed networks' for DNS?

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Is "VPN Pool (SSL)" in 'Allowed networks' for DNS?

Cheers - Bob

Nope it wasn't.. It is now.. Strange though wouldn't think that I would need to put that.. would think it was automatic.. guess not.. well problem solved.. that was the issue.. 

Thanks to all that replied.. Was ready to pull my hair out..
  • So to wrap this one up its:

Network Services / DNS / VPN Pool (???)
    Network Protection / NAT / New masq rule / VPN Pool (???)->External
    Remote Access / SSL / User -> Any

If you want the SSL users to be filtered through the transparent proxy:
    Web Protection / Web Filtering / VPN Pool (???)

Hope that helps.
  • I have been using Sophos VPN SSL for a while. Same setup as in the "wrap up"; however, recently I noticed I had not specified masquerading rule for "VPN Pool". This has been bothering me, and I read other threads, but I can't seem to get it. I  believed all traffic from "remote users" have been going through UTM because when I remote from outside, and I type IP in my browser I get my sophos public IP. I set manual FW rules:

a. remote user ---> my DNS server

b. remote user ---> Internet IPv4

Does it mean that only web traffic goes through "Sophos transparent proxy" but not necessarily all traffic?

I am using UTM 9.509

Thank you,

Martin

• Apparently, you've not been doing anything other to the Internet over the VPN except browsing.  The Transparent Web Proxy only handles HTTP (80) and HTTPS (443) if selected.

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA