This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Errors trying to regenerate certificates (Heartbleed mitigation)

Hi all,

My home UTM is throwing an error when I try regenerate certificates and signing CA under the Remote Access->Certificate Management->Advanced

The Confd reported an error without providing any details. 

Any ideas? FWIW, I was able to reset my WebAdmin cert without any trouble.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Ben, Slikone's trick should still work.  It sounds to me like you have something broken in your configuration or in the software or maybe the site-specific-removed backup was faulty.

I'm confused about what you and William are saying on the issue of certificates.  Normal backups contain CAs and Certificates that will overwrite whatever is in WebAdmin when a normal backup is restored.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Ben, Slikone's trick should still work.  It sounds to me like you have something broken in your configuration or in the software or maybe the site-specific-removed backup was faulty.

I'm confused about what you and William are saying on the issue of certificates.  Normal backups contain CAs and Certificates that will overwrite whatever is in WebAdmin when a normal backup is restored.

Cheers - Bob

Today I made new backups, with and without Unique Site Data removed.

I did a clean install from a 9.308-16 DVD (mastered at 4x and verified).

I followed William's instructions, with the exception that during installation, I input the correct info for my setup, instead of "dummy" info (I assumed the "dummy" info was for ease / speed and not due to a conflict with the process).

However, when I went to restore the backup with Unique Site Data removed, I experienced the same system hang up as before.  Restoring a full backup works fine, even during the normal process of restoring during installation (I tried multiple ways of restoring, including William's method).

Ok, so it sounds like I may have a corrupt configuration.  I REALLY don't want to re-create all my rules, etc from scratch, except as a total last resort.

I'm reaching for straws here, but here are a few quick items that I'd like to rule out before starting over from scratch:

-  Did not using "dummy" data during the initial installation matter?

-  My internal (LAN) IP address range is not the default 192.x.x.x.

-  In my WebAdmin Settings, I only have certain computers enabled in "Allowed Networks".  However, the PC that I was using to perform the backup / restore was listed here.  This PC has a static IP address.

Any suggestions on things to look for that may be causing "corruption", other than a bad data file?

I'm a home user, so Sophos support isn't an option.

Thanks,

- Ben

Cheers - Bob

Today I made new backups, with and without Unique Site Data removed.

I did a clean install from a 9.308-16 DVD (mastered at 4x and verified).

I followed William's instructions, with the exception that during installation, I input the correct info for my setup, instead of "dummy" info (I assumed the "dummy" info was for ease / speed and not due to a conflict with the process).

However, when I went to restore the backup with Unique Site Data removed, I experienced the same system hang up as before.  Restoring a full backup works fine, even during the normal process of restoring during installation (I tried multiple ways of restoring, including William's method).

Ok, so it sounds like I may have a corrupt configuration.  I REALLY don't want to re-create all my rules, etc from scratch, except as a total last resort.

I'm reaching for straws here, but here are a few quick items that I'd like to rule out before starting over from scratch:

-  Did not using "dummy" data during the initial installation matter?

-  My internal (LAN) IP address range is not the default 192.x.x.x.

-  In my WebAdmin Settings, I only have certain computers enabled in "Allowed Networks".  However, the PC that I was using to perform the backup / restore was listed here.  This PC has a static IP address.

Any suggestions on things to look for that may be causing "corruption", other than a bad data file?

I'm a home user, so Sophos support isn't an option.

Thanks,

- Ben
Children
No Data