This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Errors trying to regenerate certificates (Heartbleed mitigation)

Hi all,

My home UTM is throwing an error when I try regenerate certificates and signing CA under the Remote Access->Certificate Management->Advanced

The Confd reported an error without providing any details. 

Any ideas? FWIW, I was able to reset my WebAdmin cert without any trouble.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • I fixed all my issues by doing a backup of the new firmware without the site specific data (certs, etc) and then restoring it.  Then just walking through the initial setup really quickly and everything worked great and I didn't have to start from scratch.  I have a lot of firewall/nat rules so that would have been a pain.  I really suggest doing it this way since it will re-create all the certs for you.
  • I fixed all my issues by doing a backup of the new firmware without the site specific data (certs, etc) and then restoring it.  Then just walking through the initial setup really quickly and everything worked great and I didn't have to start from scratch.  I have a lot of firewall/nat rules so that would have been a pain.  I really suggest doing it this way since it will re-create all the certs for you.
Children

Yeah, looks like that's what I'll have to do. Thanks for the tip!

Does anyone know if this "trick" still works with version 9.308-16 ?

I tried several times today to restore a backup created with 9.308-16 using this method and every time the UTM completely hung up on the "Welcome to WebAdmin" screen after pressing the "Perform basic system setup" button (see attached).  I tried rebooting the system and also tried logging back in with manual IP config (no DHCP), but the web UI was completely locked up along with my whole network. 

The backup I was using was created with only the remove "Unique site data (License, passwords, certificates/keys, endpoints)" checkbox selected.

The UTM I'm running is software running on bare metal (no VM).

The only way I was able to recover was to login as "root" on the CLI and do a manual restore of the last good backup made immediately prior to the backup with "Unique site data" removed.

Also, once the system was back up and running, I received the following email notices from the Firewall Notification System:

[host.domain.example][INFO-141] Http proxy not running - restarted
    [host.domain.example][CRIT-310] Up2Date prefetch failed
    [host.domain.example][INFO-112] Middleware not running - restarted
    [host.domain.example][INFO-007] Successful console login

Obviously, "host.domain.example" is not my Hostname [:D]

Any ideas?

Thanks,

- Ben