This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

VPN client - can't ping internal network

Hey guys,
I know this issue has been beaten to death, but in all the threads I've searched, there is either no resolution posted, or I have tried all of the tests/checks suggested.
Using a home user firewall license, 8.102

I've set the VPN client up for other clients, but can not seem to get it to work on my network.  The client laptop is on a 192.168.2.x network, using default VPN pool addresses.

The client connects, and I can ping the astaro gateway (10.0.0.1), but can not ping any of my servers (10.0.0.10+) or any other devices on my network.  Web servers are nix based, so it's not a windows firewall issue.

I've looked at the packet filter log, and it shows nothing related to the vpn. The remote access settings are correct from what I can tell - my username allowed, to internal networks (10.0.0.x).  No WINS, DNS settings are set correctly, but I can handle DNS issues once I figure out the more important issues.  Made sure the auto-packet filter rule box was checked, etc.

Thank you for reading through this

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Is there anything unusual in the Intrusion Prevention log?

Maybe it's time to take a look at the traffic on the remote internal interface with tcpdump from the Astaro command line.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA

Maybe it's time to take a look at the traffic on the remote internal interface with tcpdump from the Astaro command line.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
Children

Cheers - Bob

IPS isn't showing anything at all.  Completely empty logs on both ASGs.  I'll have to give tcpdump a try and dig around a bit.

Thanks for the help.  I'll let you know what tcpdump turns up.
  • Are you running Windows 7?  Is UAC enabled?  If so, exit the ssl versions that starts with your profile, and right click and choose: Run As Administrator.  See if it works then.  I was having a very similar problem.  It turned out that the routes were not getting added (showed as error in the status window of astaro client) to the IP tables because a recent windows update made that an Admin only priveledge.
  • Are you running Windows 7?  Is UAC enabled?  If so, exit the ssl versions that starts with your profile, and right click and choose: Run As Administrator.  See if it works then.  I was having a very similar problem.  It turned out that the routes were not getting added (showed as error in the status window of astaro client) to the IP tables because a recent windows update made that an Admin only priveledge.

It's an ASG to ASG vpn to Windows isn't involved with this one.  BUT, it seems that after the update, the problem appears to be mostly fixed.  At least I can ping a device on the distant end network now.  I'm going to play with tcpdump some more.  Thanks for the help guys.  Sorry it took so long to respond.  Not much time anymore.