This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Server certificate could not be validated.

Hi all,

This concerns a CISCO VPN CLIENT installation, I forgot to mention it in the subject line...

Recently we've started testing with a couple of iPad's to make a VPN connection to our Astaro. I can access our Astaro user portal from anywhere and download the vpn installation, so far so good...
However, when I've installed the Cisco vpn client to the iPad and try to make a connection I get the error: "Server certificate could not be validated."

Is there anyone out there who knows how to deal with this issue? Or did I get something wrong somewhere in my configuration?

Thanks in advance!

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Thnx for the reply Wingman.
    We've got it all up and running now, turned out to be a problem with the hostname of our Astaro device... :-(
    Such a simple solution...
    We've got it all up and running now, turned out to be a problem with the hostname of our Astaro device... :-(

Hi,

having the same issues. Can you tell me how you solved it? What was the problem with the host name?

Thanks

Hi,

having the same issues. Can you tell me how you solved it? What was the problem with the host name?

Thanks
Children
  • Hi,

Thanks

Hi Achim,

What you have to make sure is that the hostname of your Astaro device and the override common name in your Cisco VPN Client settings are exactly the same.

So please; check under Management --> System Settings --> Hostname, [Hostname:] name.domain.com

and

Remote Access --> Cisco VPN Client -->iPhone, [Override hostname:] name.domain.com

These two settings have to be identical for the certificate to work.

Also, if they differ from each other, you have to replace one of the names (make sure this name is externally resolvable). (be aware that when you change you Hostname, you also have to regenerate the signing certificate under Remote Access menu --> Certificate Management. (second point to take in consideration before regenerating the signing certificate is that when you have existing (SSL) certificates, you will have to replace the old ones with the new ones after regenerating the signing certificate.)

Greetz,

Roelof

Please let me know (here or PM) if you have any further questions.
  • Shameless bump. Out of all the posts everywhere, I've been pulling my hair out trying to get the Cisco VPN to work on IOS devices and getting the "Certificate could not be validated"

This was my problem. At one point the host name got changed but the signing certificate didn't get regenerated. and 

(be aware that when you change you Hostname, you also have to regenerate the signing certificate under Remote Access menu --> Certificate Management. (second point to take in consideration before regenerating the signing certificate is that when you have existing (SSL) certificates, you will have to replace the old ones with the new ones after regenerating the signing certificate.)

Thanks RoelofW!

• Thanks for bringing this back up as I'm sure situations like this plague lots of people with mysterious problems.  The trick mentioned in The Zeroeth Rule in Rulz addresses this issue comprehensively.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA