This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

SSL VPN kills the Internet

I just set up my Astaro Home Edition gateway and the SSL VPN.  It works great on my Windows 7 and Vista systems, but I can't get it to work on my Linux box.  While I am connected to the VPN on Linux, web pages refuse to load until I disconnect from the VPN.  I don't have any certificate or invalid username/password errors, and my host-based firewalls are also disabled.  I am using the OpenVPN plugin for NetworkManager to connect to the VPN.  Any help is appreciated.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • I just set up my Astaro Home Edition gateway and the SSL VPN.

What version number of ASG are you using?

It works great on my Windows 7 and Vista systems, but I can't get it to work on my Linux box.

What Linux distro are you using?

While I am connected to the VPN on Linux, web pages refuse to load until I disconnect from the VPN.

When you say webpages refuse to load, are you getting any errors displayed at any point?  If so what do they say and how long do they take to appear?  Another thing to bear in mind is the speed of the Internet connection through which the Astaro box is connecting, more specifically the upstream rate.  This is the speed you'll get for viewing webpages being routed between yourself and the Astaro box, thus it may or may not be a simple case of allowing a bit more time than usual for pages to load.

Failing this you may need to enable all HTTP traffic to be routed from the Astaro box to the VPN user by going to 'Web Security' > 'HTTP/S' > 'Global', and adding 'VPN Pool (SSL)' to the list of allowed networks.  If this still doesn't work then you may or may not (depending on how you've setup your gateway) also need to add a masquerading rule in 'Network Security' > 'NAT' > 'Masquerading', where you map 'VPN Pool (SSL)' to the 'External (WAN)' interface.

[HINT: If you plan on routing all web traffic between the Astaro box and VPN users, you can also add 'VPN Pool (SSL)' to the local networks in 'Network Security' > 'Intrusion Prevention' > 'Global'.  This should give extra security from hackers, or at least I think it does [:D]!]

[EDIT: Sorry, I just realised I was assuming you'd be using v8 of ASG.  Thus the options I mentioned above might be in a different place if you use a different version]

I am using the OpenVPN plugin for NetworkManager to connect to the VPN.

I've used this plugin in openSUSE 11.3 without issues, it may or may not help to get a more recent version through your Linux distro's update manager.

Hope this all helps.

Regards,

Jon.
  • What version number of ASG are you using?

I'm using v8.003.  Just updated it this morning.

What Linux distro are you using?

I'm using Arch Linux.  It's a rolling-release distro, but everything is as up-to-date as I can get.

When you say webpages refuse to load, are you getting any errors displayed at any point?  If so what do they say and how long do they take to appear?  Another thing to bear in mind is the speed of the Internet connection through which the Astaro box is connecting, more specifically the upstream rate.  This is the speed you'll get for viewing webpages being routed between yourself and the Astaro box, thus it may or may not be a simple case of allowing a bit more time than usual for pages to load.

That would make sense, but I don't notice any difference in speed on my Windows systems between the VPN connection and not having the VPN connected.  I use the gateway without the VPN on my home network right now, and it is a little slower (probably because of all of the filtering and such), but not that much.

EDIT: Forgot to answer the rest of the question, lol.  I mean that the loading indicators on Firefox just go round and round like they're trying to connect to something, but are unable to.  I imagine I'd get a timeout error, but I haven't waiting around long enough for that to happen.

I've used this plugin in openSUSE 11.3 without issues, it may or may not help to get a more recent version through your Linux distro's update manager.

Since I posted this, I got it to work using the command line, which leads me to believe that the problem exists in either NetworkManager or its OpenVPN plugin.

I made all of the other changes that you suggested, but those didn't seem to work.  I guess I'll just have to use the command line for now.  I'd still like to get NetworkManager to work to make it easier when my girlfriend uses my computer.  

Thanks for your help.
  • That would make sense, but I don't notice any difference in speed on my Windows systems between the VPN connection and not having the VPN connected.  I use the gateway without the VPN on my home network right now, and it is a little slower (probably because of all of the filtering and such), but not that much.

EDIT: Forgot to answer the rest of the question, lol.  I mean that the loading indicators on Firefox just go round and round like they're trying to connect to something, but are unable to.  I imagine I'd get a timeout error, but I haven't waiting around long enough for that to happen.

Correct me if I'm wrong but it sounds as though you're trying to connect to your Astaro box via VPN from inside your own network [:S].  VPN connections are intended for external use (i.e. you're in a different physical location on a different Internet connection).  For example, if you had a NAS drive with built-in HTTP access you could use a VPN tunnel to gain secure access to it from wherever you are in the world.

Also internal VPN don't always work depending on what hostname is defined, which would typically be the hostname you would use for external access.  This is especially true for OpenVPN connections since the settings are stored in a configuration file created in advance which you simply download from the Astaro box.

Furthermore the only encryption taking place in your scenario (assuming the above is your scenario) is between your computer and the Astaro box, all within the confines of your home network.
  • Correct me if I'm wrong but it sounds as though you're trying to connect to your Astaro box via VPN from inside your own network [:S].  VPN connections are intended for external use (i.e. you're in a different physical location on a different Internet connection).  For example, if you had a NAS drive with built-in HTTP access you could use a VPN tunnel to gain secure access to it from wherever you are in the world.

Also internal VPN don't always work depending on what hostname is defined, which would typically be the hostname you would use for external access.  This is especially true for OpenVPN connections since the settings are stored in a configuration file created in advance which you simply download from the Astaro box.

Furthermore the only encryption taking place in your scenario (assuming the above is your scenario) is between your computer and the Astaro box, all within the confines of your home network.

No, that sounds about right.  I know what VPNs are normally used for, but I was trying to get it set up because I'm going on vacation soon and I wanted to make sure I could get it set up and running.  It's not something I plan on running all the time on a continual basis (that would be silly), but rather just to make sure the thing works.  I don't want to get to my destination and then have to waste a lot of time on an unsecure hotel network trying to get my VPN to work.
  • No, that sounds about right.  I know what VPNs are normally used for, but I was trying to get it set up because I'm going on vacation soon and I wanted to make sure I could get it set up and running.

Your best bet is to test it from a remote location (a neighbour or a friend's house, perhaps?), then you'll know whether it'll work on vacation.  I'm assuming you'll be using your laptop for this?