This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

VPN 'Cannot resolve host address' error

I've searched Google and the forums extensively and haven't found this issue addressed. I followed the video tutorial to setup the VPN and download the client. When I download the client and try to connect I receive a 

RESOLVE 'Cannot resolve host address: HQ: [HOST_NOT_FOUND] The specified host is unknown.'

What am I missing? On the Astaro (v7.501) I changed my host name to my IP address, but no luck.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • WHICH VPN client do you use?
  • I logged into the User Portal and downloaded the client/keys from the Astaro. Under the Management -> User Portal -> Advanced, I changed the host name from 'HQ' to my WAN IP address but no luck.
  • Hmm - i think you should tell wether you are using the SSL VPN Client, the IPSec VPN Client or something else to get some information.

Greetz
    Manfred
  • I'm using the Astaro SSL VPN Client.
  • I think you have to set the wan ip in the 'remote access->ssl->advanced' section. That is put into the *.ovpn file.

Or you change it in the *.ovpn file on your client.

Regards
    Manfred
  • Check your 'Local X509 Certificate' (I'm assuming this is the 'Server certificate' on the 'Advanced' tab) to see the FQDN in the 'VPNId [Hostname]' field.  Make sure that matches 'Override Hostname' on the 'Settings' tab of 'Remote Access >> SSL', or, if that is blank, that it matches the 'Hostname' tab of 'Management >> System Settings'.

If you did not give the Astaro a hostname resolvable by public nameservers, and you are just now setting it up for the first time, I would urge you to do a factory reset and start over with the installation.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Thanks for the help. As you can probably tell, I'm a little wet behind the ears when it comes to setting this stuff up. I have no idea what a X509 certificate is or how to create one. 

My WAN address is resolvable by public DNS servers.
  • You can see the reason of the failure her:

RESOLVE 'Cannot resolve host address: HQ: [HOST_NOT_FOUND] The specified host is unknown.' 

It seems you configured the name of the ASG to be just "HQ".

The client tries to resolve "HQ" into a ip address which fails, of course.

So you have different options:
    1) enter the publically resolvable FQDN of the ASG in Remote Access - SSL VPN - Settings - Override hostname  (the A record must point to your public IP)
    2) enter the official IP address ofg the ASG in Remote Access - SSL VPN - Settings - Override hostname
    3) on your client, edit your hosts files and insert "HQ" and the appropriate IP adress of your ASG

If you coose 1) or 2) , you have to download the SSL VPN configuration file from your ASG again and install it on your client.
    2) and 3) of course only work, if you have a static public IP address (not a dynamic one). If you have a dynamic IP address, you have to use dyndns on the ASG and enter the dyndns hostname in the "override hostname" section.
  • Thanks you very much for the help!

By the IP of the ASG, do you mean the WAN IP address of the ASG or the internal IP address? 

My WAN is 66.235.x.x

My internal IP for the ASG is 192.168.1.50
  • I forgot to include that my WAN IP is static.