This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Windows XP Service Pack 2 and SSH/Astaro Sentinel

SSH/Astaro Sentinel 4.0 build 190's virtual adapter is not working any more after the installation of Windows XP Service Pack 2. 
I tried both "IKE mode config" and "specify manually"with XP's firewall disabled - as long as "acquire virtual IP address" is enabled, no packet arrives at the VPN gateway and connection finally fails. With "acquire virtual IP address" disabled -> connected. 
Tried another WinXP/SP1-laptop: virtual IP via "mode config" -> OK. Installed WinXP SP2 -> No Connection.

Can anybody help?

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Hi
    I mean, windows XP SP2 activates the internal XP
    firewall on each network connection! Try to disable
    it!

Medic
  • Right, the firewall is enabled by default in SP2. I switched it off, but sentinel behaves the same:

- Virtual IP via mode config: IPSEC tunnel is established, the IP adress/subnet mask of the virtual adapter is 0.0.0.0. In IKE log I see the entry 
    Config mode: received virtual IP address 192.168.3.100/255.255.255.0
    0.0.0.0:500 (Responder)  { something } CFG; MESSAGE: CFG Mode wait done
     With XP SP1 this worked fine, the IP of the virtual adapter was 192.168.3.100 when IPSEC connected to gateway. 

- Virtual IP manually assigned: IPSEC tunnel is not established, no entries in detailed IKE log . But I don't know if this ever worked with SP1, I used mode config.
  • I can confirm this: even with the firewall disabled, a machine with XP SP2 installed cannot establish a VPN connection to ASTARO. The "conection diagnostic" reports a success but trying to actually establish that connection results in a dialog saying:

"Cannot open the VPN connection. Confirm your network settings and verify that Policy Manager is running" 

(it is running BTW)

I'll investigate a bit more later on
  • I can confirm that there is a problem with SP2 when using virtual IP addresses. The connection is not initiated by Sentinel if a virtual IP is configured. Until a fix is available for this issue, I recommend not upgrading to SP2 yet.

Regards,
    Stephan
  • Has anybody tried microsofts new  Hotfix 884020 for Windows XP Service Pack 2 (Programs that connect to IP addresses that are in the loopback address range may not work as you expect in Windows XP Service Pack 2
    )?
  • I just installed the Hotfix menitioned in KB Article Number(s): 884020 on Windows XP Service Pack 2. The virtual adapter still isn´t working.
  • Hi,

I just found the following Quote in the Net:
    "Zukünftig wird SafeNet für SafeNet (SSH) Sentinel keinen Support mehr leisten. Laut Aussage des Herstellers SafeNet ist die Kompatiblität von Sentinel mit Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) nicht gegeben."

Basically, no further Support for the Sentinel Client ? We have to wait and see.

Volker
  • Hi,

I just found the following Quote in the Net:
    "Zukünftig wird SafeNet für SafeNet (SSH) Sentinel keinen Support mehr leisten. Laut Aussage des Herstellers SafeNet ist die Kompatiblität von Sentinel mit Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) nicht gegeben."

Basically, no further Support for the Sentinel Client ? We have to wait and see.

Volker
Children
No Data