This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

VPN setup (point me and i'll go!)

Greetings!

One of the big reasons why I was drawn to Astaro was it's VPN capabilities.  I have had the opportunity to use VPN technology (and still do) with our office.  However, most everything with it was already setup before I was hired and I never really got the opportunity to get a lot of hands-on experience with setting it up from ground zero, though I have gotten to delve into it some and work with some configuration.  

We run a Cisco VPN Concentrator for remote connections to our office.  It's pretty much as easy as making sure a user group and password are setup on the concentrator and installing the VPN client on the machine that will be remoting in and setting it up with the appropriate information.  At home I fire up the client, hit the connect button, and it negotiates a connection with our VPN gateway.  Enter in a password and bingo--you're logged in.  A dynamic IP is assigned to the workstation for the duration of the session that is in compliance with the subnet at work.  When done doing whatever needs to be done, disconnect and everything is back how it was.

Anyway, you get the picture.  Ultimately I would like to puruse some options to link my Astaro box at home with our Cisco VPN Concentrator at work, but for now, I'll let that go.  What I am wanting now is similar functionality to what I described above that I have w/our Cisco VPN here at work.  I want to be able to fire up a VPN client (SSH Sentinel) and make a secure VPN connection to home to take care of whatever I need to on my home network, and when I'm done, disconnect and carry on with my usual network activities here.  

I've read of net-to-net, host-to-net, and host-to-host style connections, and am familiar on how they work.  I'm guessing more or less i'm going to setup a host-to-net connection, correct?  It seems the only examples I have seen to setup a host-to-net refer to PPTP or 'Road Warrior' setups (which I envision is for people who go remote that will connect to the VPN).  Is this 'Road Warrior' idea the same thing I will pursue from my one machine here at the office to my home network?  What configuration examples do I need to look at and become familiar with to establish a simple host-(my pc here at work)-to-net (my firewall / home network at hom) connection?

Thanks for any help with this.  I'm still trying to totally grasp setting up a VPN, and how to properly set things up depending on the scenario (network to network, remote client to network, etc...)

Thanks!

------------------------------------------------
Quick question--can I do this 'host-to-net' connection with RSA? Or am i going to have to work with X509?

[size="1"][ 12 August 2002, 13:44: Message edited by: Swad ][/size]

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • I'm gathering from what I read that if you're some NAT service (I think our PIX does that for us at work) that it's not really easy to establish a host vpn connection from a machine to an astaro box?
  • If the company you work at is behind a Nat device....you will not be able to use SSH Sentinel because that uses IPSec which cannot be established behind a Nat'ed device......however you can use Astaro to accept PPTP client's which should work fine

Rayzor
  • I am giving PPTP a run and have run into a roadblock.

I have read through "PPTP_Road_Warrior.pdf" in the VPN docs section and followed what it says exactly, making changes as need be.  Here is what my live log for PPTP looks like when I try to connect:

Aug 13 08:14:59 astaro pppd[12865]: pppd 2.4.0 started by (unknown), uid 0
    Aug 13 08:14:59 astaro pppd[12865]: Using interface ppp0
    Aug 13 08:14:59 astaro pppd[12865]: Connect: ppp0  /dev/ttyp0
    Aug 13 08:15:29 astaro pppd[12865]: LCP: timeout sending Config-Requests 
    Aug 13 08:15:29 astaro pppd[12865]: Connection terminated.
    Aug 13 08:15:29 astaro pppd[12865]: Exit.

and on the client end (Windows 2000 on LAN at work), I get:

Error 619: The specified port is not connected

Just to recap what I have done from that tutorial for PPTP:

PPTP Roadwarrior Network Access:
      Logging: Normal
      Encryption: Strong
      Network: eth0 (which is my internal network at hom)
      I left all else as-is

Users
      I am using my webadmin user (I created a new one, not the default admin user) and I pretty much have an exact replica of what you see on the screen for the PPTP tutorial for that user

Network
      Now I went ahead and did this, but I thought it was unnecessary... I created a PPTP-Pool network entry, which is exactly the same as my eth0_network__

Rules
      PPTP-->Any-->eth0_network__-->allow

That pretty much sums up what I have done on the Astaro firewall.  Not real sure what is going on at this juncture.  Any insight would be appreciated.  Thanks!

(I have searched through the VPN forum, and found similar issues, but nothing really pertinent to help me)

-------------

Quick question in regards to all of this--does it matter that both my eth0_network__ and PPTP-Pool are the same? (192.168.1.0/24)

[size="1"][ 13 August 2002, 10:12: Message edited by: Swad ][/size]
  • Are you using DHCP from the Astaro box?? If so you may be getting duplicate IP addresses....try to assign the addresses from the PPTP pool rather than the internal network....

also I have also ran into a bit of a snag...and have come to the conclusion that the 619 error you are getting is from a bad password.....i tried changing the password or creating several users....some worked and others did not...do not know if the Astaro has difficulty with certain characters or not...but once I was able to get a user and password that worked...it has alway's worked...

the only other thing I would try is getting rid of the rule as you are basically saying allow traffic from my pptp to internal...which happen to be the same thing...or if you change to the PPTP pool then change this definition as well but try adding one going the other way as well

from internal..any...to PPTP.....allow

hope this helps

Rayzor
  • Ugh...

I've tried it all.  My brain is growing numb as I am at a loss as to what is going on.  I am starting to come to the conclusion that it is something on our network here at work that is nurfing me (though I know not what... I'm trying to get some tests done from a place other than our network), although I'm also thinking it's not something here at work as I somehow am initiating the connection, else the activity log for PPTP wouldn't show something.

I have tried a number of different users now, all given PPTP access and using the PPTP address pool as well as trying to give a static IP.  Different passwords... short, long, special characters, no special characters... everything.  You would think surely that my webadmin user, which I use to connect to my webadmin service from work all the time, would work fine.  

I am not running DHCP at all (everything on my network is static).  I've tried both the default PPTP pool (10.X.X.X) as well as setting up a pool just like my eth0_network__, and one just slightly different (192.168.1.0/24).  I've also just tried using eth0_network__ instead of creating a PPTP Pool.  I have tried the rules you suggested in as many combinations as I can think of as well.  It is silly to setup any rules that allow essentially: eth0 to eth0 any allow (such as when i tried using eth0_network__ as my pool, and setting up a PPTP-Pool that looks just like my eth0_network__), but in desperation, I am holding back no shots and have tried it as well along with the more obvious PPTP-Pool ANY eth0_network__ allow and vice versa (with PPTP-Pool being the default one setup by astar).

I have tried everything on my client end from letting things stay at default after setting up the connection, to making sure that under the network tab that PPTP is chosen instead of automatic, assigning static IPs under TCP/IP for this connection (instead of leaving it all automatic as it should be).  I have tried everything as both the PPTP_Road_Warrior.pdf document have outlined, as well as what the manual has outlined for setting up a PPTP connection.

I'm at an utter and complete, and frustrating, loss.  Murphy's Law states, though, that it will be something beyond trivial and easy that is causing my problems... that is always the case for me.  Maybe I'm not holding my tongue just right and standing on one leg with the correct leg.           

Thanks for the help and insight.  I'm going to continue to tinker with things and explore new avenues in my problem solving efforts.  If anything new strikes you, please PLEASE clue me in!

Thanks for all your help so far!  It is much appreciated.

-----------------------
    This may seem silly (desperation leads to silly avenues to solve an issue... heh), but if you used any generic users/passwords in your testing, can you give me one you used that did work so I can add the user briefly and try it out real quick?  I have high doubts after trying a few users, and especially when using my webadmin user that it's a user/password issue--want to rule out that as being a problem up front.

-----------------------
    Another question--what rules MUST be in place to allow a remote PPTP connection?

[size="1"][ 14 August 2002, 10:49: Message edited by: Swad ][/size]
  • UPDATE

Well it appears to be something on our end at work... my guess it's the Cisco VPN 3000 Concentrator or the Cisco PIX 515 Firewall that is nurfing it.  I had my brother in law try to do it from his computer at home (he's only behind a standard linksys cable/dsl router) and the connection managed to establish.  It wasn't working right (seems to have not set the right subnet mask or gateway), but it still authenticated and connected.

Looks like I get to see why our equipment here at work is not allowing the PPTP connection to go through properly.  NOt sure where to begin, though... I'm kindof at a loss.  One of the biggest reasons I wanted VPN functionality to my Astaro box at home was for accessing my home network while at work... DOH!