This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

SSL VPN dns resolution

We’ve been using SSL VPN client 2.1 a lot more since everyone is working remotely. Intermittently some users will connect to VPN but are not able to resolve internal names. They have the correct dns servers listed when viewing via ipconfig, but they still use computer’s local dns. I’ve tried reconnecting to vpn, flushing client dns cache and stopping openvpn process. The only things that resolves is rebooting the client computer. Any ideas on how to make this more consistent?

Running Sophos UTM 9 6.3 firmware, clients are Windows 10. 

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • First i would check internal DNS-connection using nslookup.

Do you use SG as DNS-Server or LAN-internal Server?

Possible too, there is an AV solution using its own DNS implementation ...

Dirk

Systema Gesellschaft für angewandte Datentechnik mbH  // Sophos Platinum Partner
    Sophos Solution Partner since 2003
    If a post solves your question, click the 'Verify Answer' link at this post.

• Using LAN server as DNS. It works most of the time and when it doesn't I have user's reboot computers and it's fine for another few days. Some users don't experience this at all so I can pinpoint why it's happening.

• What happens if you kill the SSL VPN client completely (instead of just disconnecting), flushdns and then restart the client and reconnect?

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • I've tried that, same. I noticed it uses openvpnserve executable as the process, I kill then and restart Sophos SSL VPN but no joy. As soon as client computer is rebooted it's fine. This is not a show stopper but definitely a nuisance that we haven't experienced with other vpn solutions. I even downloaded the latest openvpn client but apparently that's not supported at all with Sophos UTM.

• I've tried that, same. I noticed it uses openvpnserve executable as the process, I kill then and restart Sophos SSL VPN but no joy. As soon as client computer is rebooted it's fine. This is not a show stopper but definitely a nuisance that we haven't experienced with other vpn solutions. I even downloaded the latest openvpn client but apparently that's not supported at all with Sophos UTM.

Children
No Data