This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Sharing VPN SSL Client connection in home-network

We are currently using VPN SSL Clients for our employees to give them access from their homes to office-workstations which works pretty well.

Some of our users would need to connect a secondary internet device (game development console) which is currently hooked up to their home network.

Now this game console would need to connect to the office network but has no option to use a VPN client software.

I tried to simply turn on "internet sharing" in Windows 10 on the "Sophos SSL VPN Adapter" but that dis-configured the Ethernet adapter (which is understandable) that is being used for accessing the home-router. This resulted in loosing the internet connectivity in general.

Would it help to install a secondary ether network card into the pc and use it for "internet sharing" and hook the game console to this lan port?

Or is there a way to create a secondary network card that physically shares the network port but can be configured for internet sharing without disturbing the primary lan connection?

Are there any other vpn options to bring the game console into the office-network without installing a VPN (client/tunnel) capable hardware router?

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • If you want a turnkey solution, I would suggest picking up some RED15s for this.

(back when we used PPTP I used to buy a cheap router, put OpenWRT on it and establish the connection on there so I could plug in devices, might work with L2TP).

• Would suggest the RED device too.

Dirk

Systema Gesellschaft für angewandte Datentechnik mbH  // Sophos Platinum Partner
    Sophos Solution Partner since 2003
    If a post solves your question, click the 'Verify Answer' link at this post.

• Thank you for your advice. I heard about the RED devices but didn't check out their features yet - I just knew they are mainly for integrating branch offices (external sites) into corporate networks which is actually that what we wan't to do although the branch office is just a user's home an the amount of devices is just 2.

Do I actually have to replace the internet router with the RED device or can it also just sit somewhere on the LAN and needs a forwarded port from outside?
    Can it deal with dynamic public ip address, too?

I'm asking these questions since that is a common situation at a home office. Some of those private internet access solutions use a LTE router or a DSL router with a dynamic IP. The good thing is meanwhile all those home routers can forward ports to internal network IPs.

I will certainly have a closer look at the capabilities of those RED devices.

• ChrisSoukup said:
    Do I actually have to replace the internet router with the RED device or can it also just sit somewhere on the LAN and needs a forwarded port from outside?

You just hook it up to a LAN port with internet connection, no port forwarding needed, it phones home to a Sophos server and sets up itself with what you configure in the UTM.

Can it deal with dynamic public ip address, too?

yes, I use two RED15s for remote IP phones (one of them in China, works like a charm).

You can of course also enable a MAC filter for the REDs so only the console can connect.

• Chris, how many users do you need to prepare for and which UTM are you using?

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA