This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

VPN shows as connected but doesn't allow traffic

I have somewhat of a strange issue.  User is connected using the Sophos SSL VPN to remote site.  He undocks his laptop and it swaps over from wired network to wireless however he loses all ability to access the internet or the remote vpn site.  When I do an ipconfig all it shows both connections as active, with an IP assigned, but no traffic can go through.  The SSL VPN client shows as "connecting" but never shows as connected.  The only way to fix this is to open up control panel>view network connections> and disable the sophos ssl vpn network and then re-enable and reconnect.

Is there any way for the VPN to remain connected when swapping off of wired to wireless connection?

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Hi  

If a user moves from one network to another, a user's SSL VPN session will be stopped. UTM 9 will wait for the connection to be established before terminating it. What do you see in SSL VPN logs on the client and UTM 9?

Regards

Jaydeep

• To further clarify - the user is connected to VPN and then moves from wired to wireless network.  This kills all traffic both over VPN or over the wireless network. The VPN does not reconnect despite the machine registering as connected via wifi.  Is the VPN somehow tied to the wired connection?  When the user does the same thing with cisco anyconnect it simply moves the primary connection from wired>wifi and the VPN either remains connected or reconnects immediately.

Unfortunately we don't have access to the appliance, just the client.  I will see if I can get the logs from the client.  I am relatively unfamiliar with this software as we don't technically support it in our org.  Can you point me in the right direction?

• Hi Sam and welcome to the UTM Community!

The Sophos SSL VPN client is a hardened version of an earlier version of the OpenVPN client.  Have the user download that client and then try switching between wireless and wired.  I suspect that this will give the same result and that the solution of dis/enabling the network connection is the only solution.  If OpenVPN does work without the dis/enable, please come back here and let us know.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA