This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Automatic firewall rules Vs Manual firewall rules

Hi All

I am trying to get a better understanding of the differences between the 2.  I am using UTM 9 on SG125

I have multiple IPSEC sites (Grouped as VPN-0-All Branches) all connecting to Head Office (VPN-Z-LAN).

So I do not enable automatic firewall rules but set to manual rules as follows Key being 1&2 (Allow between Branch & HO Any + HO & Branch Any)

My application (using single port for connection) connects fine under above but I cannot access anything else such as web access to remote router or remote desktop via IP address

If I enable rule 4 (Web Surfing) I can access remote router but still cannot remote desktop to a machine at branch using IP address i.e.

However if I let UTM create an auto rule all works fine (even if I have all others disabled) e.g.  In this example have allowed creation of auto firewall rule between Branch B and Z Any

In this case all works fine. So what's the difference? [:^)]

Is it the case the in manually created rule "Any" is not the same thing as "Any" on the auto created rule or something else?

Any insight would be appreciated

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Hi snooty,

please check your "all branches" group-object and the member objects.

- is VPN-B1-LAN member of VPN-0-All Branches? (if you don't use the exact same objects, please double check IP definition for typos)

- is there an "Interface" Configured in the Hosts / Network-Objects  Advanced section?

if the above is given there shouldn't be any difference betwen automatic and your rules.

Enabling rule 4 allows Webmanagement of the router (maybe the better destination would be "internet v4 / internet v6" which refers to "any destination reacheable via an interface which has a default gateway") if you intended to allow Internet-Websurfing not ANY Websurfing ;)

yours Lukas

lna@cema

SCA (utm+xg), SCSE, SCT

Sophos Platinum Partner

• Hi Ina

Thank you for your quick reply

- is VPN-B1-LAN member of VPN-0-All Branches? (if you don't use the exact same objects, please double check IP definition for typos)

Yes it is - To double check I also tried using VPN-B1-LAN with same results.

In a nutshell and I have tried the following simple setup:

VPN-B1-LAN ---Any----> VPN-Z-LAN /Allow (Manual Rule)
    VPN-B1-LAN <---Any---- VPN-Z-LAN /Allow (Manual Rule)
    Any ----Any----> Any /Drop

Allows my application to communicate but not other applications like web access to remote router / remote desktop

Whereas:

VPN-B1-LAN ---Any----> VPN-Z-LAN /Allow (Automatically Created Rule)
    VPN-B1-LAN <---Any---- VPN-Z-LAN /Allow (Automatically Created Rule)
    Any ----Any----> Any /Drop

This works fine for everything including my application / web access to remote router / remote desktop etc...

I cannot see any difference between the two the manual rule and the automatic rule.
    I change nothing else in the system but when I delete the manual rules and select to create automatic rules, it creates the above two and all works well.

>> is there an "Interface" Configured in the Hosts / Network-Objects Advanced section?

Am a little confused here - Where should I be looking for this?
    I have two interfaces Internal / External

VPN-B1-LAN is bound to External
    VPN-Z-Lan is bound to Internal

>>Enabling rule 4 allows Webmanagement of the router (maybe the better destination would be "internet v4 / internet v6" which refers to "any destination reacheable via an interface ??>>which has a default gateway") if you intended to allow Internet-Websurfing not ANY Websurfing ;)

I do not need any "internet" access on this network - it simply exists for point to point communication between Head Office and Branches with IPSEC VPN.

The required traffic between the VPN is only a few ports for our applications + remote desktop and access to the remote site routers for management purposes.

The automatic rules work fine but allow all traffic between a Branch and Head Office - I was looking to set to manual and once I had better understood the finer points, restrict traffic to only those ports needed.

Thank you.

• Do you get any insight from doing #1 in Rulz?  Look at #2 to get a better understanding of priorities in traffic handling.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Hi Bob,

Thank you as always for your insight - The Rulz link was very helpful. 

I can spot the issue but not sure why it is happening :)

So my rules are basically as follows (All manual)

#1  Branch ---Any---->HeadOffice  /Allow

#2 HeadOffice --- Any--->Branch  / Allow

#3 Any ---Any--> /Drop

So my first rule of    Branch ---Any---->HeadOffice  /Allow  (Manual)  works fine from Branch Side can access all as required

My #2 rule  is the one causing an issue From HeadOffice side a machine cannot access a service at branch e.g access router / ping a remote machine / router

If I change the rule  #2 to #2 HeadOffice --- Any--->Any  / Allow

All starts to work fine.

In terms of network definitions HeadOffice would be 192.168.150.0/24    Branch would be 192.168.187.0/24

Rule #1 works fine - Branch can access all services at Head Office

Rule #2 does not work as HeadOffice --- Any--->Branch  / Allow  but does work as as    HeadOfficeOffice --- Any--->Any  / Allow

But the thing that freaks me out is when it creates the same thing via auto rules it works fine

i.e. auto rules create exactly the same as my #1 #2 and work fine.

So I am wondering if auto configured rules also do something else?

Thanks

• Could it be that your branch network definition is bound to an interface (see Rule 3 from Rulz)?

Managing several Sophos firewalls both at work and at some home locations, dedicated to continuously improve IT-security and feeling well helping others with their IT-security challenges.

• Could it be that your branch network definition is bound to an interface (see Rule 3 from Rulz)?

Managing several Sophos firewalls both at work and at some home locations, dedicated to continuously improve IT-security and feeling well helping others with their IT-security challenges.

Children
No Data