This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Automatic firewall rules Vs Manual firewall rules

Hi All

I am trying to get a better understanding of the differences between the 2.  I am using UTM 9 on SG125

I have multiple IPSEC sites (Grouped as VPN-0-All Branches) all connecting to Head Office (VPN-Z-LAN).

So I do not enable automatic firewall rules but set to manual rules as follows Key being 1&2 (Allow between Branch & HO Any + HO & Branch Any)

My application (using single port for connection) connects fine under above but I cannot access anything else such as web access to remote router or remote desktop via IP address

If I enable rule 4 (Web Surfing) I can access remote router but still cannot remote desktop to a machine at branch using IP address i.e.

However if I let UTM create an auto rule all works fine (even if I have all others disabled) e.g.  In this example have allowed creation of auto firewall rule between Branch B and Z Any

In this case all works fine. So what's the difference? [:^)]

Is it the case the in manually created rule "Any" is not the same thing as "Any" on the auto created rule or something else?

Any insight would be appreciated

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • I have not stared at your examples long enough to understand your configuration, but I do understand the theory, which is enough to answer your question:

• The VPN Profile defines what packets the remote device will send into the tunnel.   Anything not included in the VPN profile is handled locally by the remote device.
    • All of the normal UTM proxy logic is applied to the packet when it arrives at UTM.   Depending on your enabled proxies and Allowed Networks list, the packet may be handled by Web Filtering, FTP Proxy, POP3 proxy, Web Protection, or Firewall Rules.   Assuming that you have not enabled the VPN source addresses for any of the proxy Allowed Networks list, the packet will be processed by Firewall Rules.
    • The Default firewall rule is to DROP.   So for any traffic to be accepted from the tunnel, you need to give it permission.
    • If you choose Automatic Firewall rules, UTM creates an Firewall ALLOW rule that matches the VPN Profile (all allowed addresses, all ports).   In most situations, this is too permissive.
    • If you choose Manual Firewall rules, then UTM relies on you to define what specific ports on which specific addresses will be allowed.
    • Obviously, the Manual Firewall rules can only allow traffic that arrives at UTM, so it can only allow traffic for the addresses included in the VPN profile.

You said that with Automatic Rules off, your traffic is being blocked.   This means that your manual rules are not allowing all of the traffic that you want, or that the rule is in the wrong position, so a BLOCK rule is being applied before a desired ALLOW rule can be detected.   Rules are processed from low number to high.

• I have not stared at your examples long enough to understand your configuration, but I do understand the theory, which is enough to answer your question:

• The VPN Profile defines what packets the remote device will send into the tunnel.   Anything not included in the VPN profile is handled locally by the remote device.
    • All of the normal UTM proxy logic is applied to the packet when it arrives at UTM.   Depending on your enabled proxies and Allowed Networks list, the packet may be handled by Web Filtering, FTP Proxy, POP3 proxy, Web Protection, or Firewall Rules.   Assuming that you have not enabled the VPN source addresses for any of the proxy Allowed Networks list, the packet will be processed by Firewall Rules.
    • The Default firewall rule is to DROP.   So for any traffic to be accepted from the tunnel, you need to give it permission.
    • If you choose Automatic Firewall rules, UTM creates an Firewall ALLOW rule that matches the VPN Profile (all allowed addresses, all ports).   In most situations, this is too permissive.
    • If you choose Manual Firewall rules, then UTM relies on you to define what specific ports on which specific addresses will be allowed.
    • Obviously, the Manual Firewall rules can only allow traffic that arrives at UTM, so it can only allow traffic for the addresses included in the VPN profile.

You said that with Automatic Rules off, your traffic is being blocked.   This means that your manual rules are not allowing all of the traffic that you want, or that the rule is in the wrong position, so a BLOCK rule is being applied before a desired ALLOW rule can be detected.   Rules are processed from low number to high.

Children
No Data