This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

UTM 9 IPSec vpn behind college network. Will it work?

I am wondering if a site to site vpn will work. My UTM at home can have any port open and it will get through fine if I open that specific port. However, I am wondering if a site to site vpn tunnel will work at the college I go to if I am unable to forward ports to make the IPSec vpn to work. Will it make a make a difference if I chose “respond” or “initiate only”? Thanks.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • As stated before, you really don't want to make a permanent connection between a college network and your home network.

If all you need is to access your home resources from work, your best bet would be to use a remote access VPN connection. There's a good chance that SSL VPN on TCP port 443 will work.

That way you have access to your home network from the college network at the times that you need it and there's no permanent connection for everyone to (ab)use.

Managing several Sophos firewalls both at work and at some home locations, dedicated to continuously improve IT-security and feeling well helping others with their IT-security challenges.

• As stated before, you really don't want to make a permanent connection between a college network and your home network.

If all you need is to access your home resources from work, your best bet would be to use a remote access VPN connection. There's a good chance that SSL VPN on TCP port 443 will work.

That way you have access to your home network from the college network at the times that you need it and there's no permanent connection for everyone to (ab)use.

Managing several Sophos firewalls both at work and at some home locations, dedicated to continuously improve IT-security and feeling well helping others with their IT-security challenges.

Children
No Data