This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

HTML5 VPN: RDP Session terminated after Login

Hi,

i have set up a Remote Desktop Farm consiting of server RDS1 (connection broker) and server RDS2 (additional session host).

In the local network I can connect to the farm via dns-name "RDS", that points to both of the IP's of RDS1 and RDS2 (two seperate dns entries for the same name and a different IP).
The session broker then decides on which of the two servers to establish the rdp session.

In the HTML5 VPN Portal, i have to specify the host directly, so I have to chose either rds1 or rds2 to connect to.
This works perfectly until I get to the Login Screen of the Remote Desktop Server. But sometimes, after entering the credentials, the session just closes.
No error message or hint in any way, the window just disappears.

I think the problem is, that if I try to connect to rds1 and the broker would, for load balancing reasons, put me on rds2, the session can not be established.
So I tried to bypass the session broker on rds1 by always connecting to rds2 from the HTML5-Portal. But I get the same problem there. The connection seems to
always go on the broker and if it decides to connect to rds1, the session can't be established.

Does anyone know how to resolve this? Is there a workaround?

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Hallo Georg and welcome to the UTM Community!

I don't know of a workaround, but I don't think you want to use the HTML5 portal for this.  It is very resource-intensive and having more than a few sessions active simultaneously can cause problems.  The best use of the HTML5 portal is for occasional access.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Hi Bob,

thanks for your answer. The Portal is, in fact, meant for occational access (just to check some numberns in an excelsheet that has a database connection).
    The advantage is, that you don't have to install something and can basically connect from any machine.
    For regular work on the Terminalserver, we use the VPN-SSL-Client. That works perfectly.

So in a first step I deactiveted the connection on RDS2 temporarily.

We planned to upgrade to the new XG in March or April anyway, so we'll see if it works better on the new OS.

If the problem remains, I will create a seperate farm with only one session host and a different dns Name and Host Definition on the Firewall for use in the HTML5 Portal.
    That will definitely resolve the problem ;)

Greetings,
    Georg.

• Hi Bob,

thanks for your answer. The Portal is, in fact, meant for occational access (just to check some numberns in an excelsheet that has a database connection).
    The advantage is, that you don't have to install something and can basically connect from any machine.
    For regular work on the Terminalserver, we use the VPN-SSL-Client. That works perfectly.

So in a first step I deactiveted the connection on RDS2 temporarily.

We planned to upgrade to the new XG in March or April anyway, so we'll see if it works better on the new OS.

If the problem remains, I will create a seperate farm with only one session host and a different dns Name and Host Definition on the Firewall for use in the HTML5 Portal.
    That will definitely resolve the problem ;)

Greetings,
    Georg.

Children
No Data