This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

First time Sophos UTM home edition user

I bought an old lab computer that is a Dell Optiplex 990. The specs on the dell, intel i5 2500, 8 gigs of ddr3 ram, on board intel nic and I also bought an Intel pro/1000 pt dual port server adapter off of Amazon. I will provide a link to the network card below. So far my home network consist of an Asus ac87u on a gigabit cable connection. I installed the latest version UTM v9 software appliance on the Dell (file name:asg-9505-4.1iso) I kept all the setting the same during the install. For some reason I can not ping the IP that the UTM tells me to. I can not find the Webadmin interface on my network. I have tried hooking up to the Asus ac87u and also hooking it up directly to my laptop and still nothing. Do I need to go in change setting on the Asus ac87u before accessing the Webadmin interface? Before installing the UTM all Ethernet ports did work with Windows 7 professional. I am very new to this and I am obviously still learning. My goal if possible is to have the network like this modem--> Dell (utm)-->Asus ac87u. Thank you for your time. I hope explained this clearly if you need anymore information please feel free to ask.

link to network card: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BMZHX2/ref=s9u_simh_gw_i1?ie=UTF8&fpl=fresh&pd_rd_i=B000BMZHX2&pd_rd_r=2997f9bb-bcce-11e7-9821-4b13dd402765&pd_rd_w=i75TZ&pd_rd_wg=9AJcX&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=&pf_rd_r=RP901YMB6EQYHQZXSNSS&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=1cf9d009-399c-49e1-901a-7b8786e59436&pf_rd_i=desktop 

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • UTM response to pings is controlled here : Network Protection, Firewall, ICMP

When connecting to the utm, make sure you're specifying the port 4444

https://{UTMIP}:4444

If you haven't already, disable dhcp on your asus if you plan on having utm handle dhcp services.  In addition, you'll need to configure your pc to be on the same subnet as you defined when installing utm until you configure utm's dhcp settings.