This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Apex Controller

Hello,

I'll start by apologizing for not knowing if I'm in the right forum area and possibly not providing the correct information from the start, but I'll give it a try!

Basically, I've got a Sophos XG and everything works find with it. I've got an APEX Controller by Neptune Systems which I can connect to directly through an internal IP address, but I can't get that device to connect outbound to Neptune Systems. The purpose of the device (APEX Controller) is to communicate with lights/pumps for an aquarium - it is a piece of hardware that just passes instructions/reports back and forth between the hardware and the device, then sends the data to Neptune Systems where I can view it. The controller can also fetch bios updates and such. Anyway, I've got it setup to use a private IP address with the correct subnet/gateway and 8.8.8.8 for a DNS server.

I guess I'm curious to know where someone would start to investigate something like this? I've already tried setting a rule in the firewall configure to allow any/all services to do anything they want, so I don't think it is some kind of rule in the firewall section preventing its functionality.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Hello fellow reefer [:D] I have been using apex controller for ages. Basically you will have to create definitions for port 1198:1199 TCP. I can then use the fusion website and turn the controller on and off. It does't use any other ports for working via fusion website.

OPTIONAL For updating firmware, I go to the fusion website and downlad the firmware and apply it locally. This reduces error conditions and a failed internet connection or power outage won't brick your device. To be honest I haven't updated in a while so not sure but you will probably need port 80,443 and 53udp open for the controller to access the internet.

NOT NEEDED The apex manual  says something about incoming port 80 and you will have to

DNAT src internet >service http >goint to external address

Change destination to apex fusion address

I never open these devices to the internet specially when you can control it from the fusion website anyway. No need to expose it to the internet when not needed.

• Thanks for the feedback - that worked out perfectly!

Reply Children
No Data