This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Chosing FQDN UTM Hostname alternative

I have read "The Rulz" and have come away knowing a great deal more about chosing a hostname. I have a DynDNS domain as I do not have a static external IP, so that is my starting point. However, after searching through the threads I am still confused which of the options below ends up being the better choice as the UTM hostname:

hostname = DynDNS domain, for example mycompany.homeip.net

hostname = add device to domain, for example utm.mycompany.homeip.net

hostname = add mail, for example mail.mycompany.homeip.net

Thanks

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Hi Colin,

Deciding on a Dynamic DNS provider depends on your needs and budget. Most of them offer a free service using generic domains. Entry level packages allows you to register multiple domains and additional DNS record such as MX records. You just need to select any one for your requirement the choice is yours.

Refer the article here to get some configuration tips.

Hope that helps.

Sachin Gurung
    Team Lead | Sophos Technical Support
    Knowledge Base  |  @SophosSupport  |  Video tutorials
    Remember to like a post.  If a post (on a question thread) solves your question use the 'This helped me' link.

• Hello,

Thanks for the tip, but this is not what I was looking for. I have a DDNS provider and domain. My question was specific to the choice of FQDN hostname of the UTM, or whether I should simply use the DDNS domain, or add utm. or mail. before the domain.

Sorry if my question wasn't clear, but I found the guide you linked useful.

• Hi Colin,

Sorry if I misunderstood your question. There is no constraint to use any such .domains, just a matter of fact that it should be publically resolvable unique FQDN. If you already have a DDNS domain then use the provided domain for the hostname and that should do the job.

Thanks

Sachin Gurung
    Team Lead | Sophos Technical Support
    Knowledge Base  |  @SophosSupport  |  Video tutorials
    Remember to like a post.  If a post (on a question thread) solves your question use the 'This helped me' link.

• Hi, Colin, and welcome to the UTM Community!

Please see The Zeroeth Rule in Rulz before you name your UTM.  Use an FQDN for the name, not just the domain name.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA