This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Sophos UTM - Rest API error?

Hi,

We are currently using our Sophos UTM to support remote workers with VPN features.

Since we have increased the number of home workers to assist with current lockdown our UTM admin interface is failing approx every 23 hours?

Around 11am-1pm daily the UTM admin panel hangs and cannot be accessed until the device is rebooted. It does not effect the VPN users or traffic flow - but causes downtime when we have to reboot.

When we try to log into to he admin panel the screen hangs for around 60 seconds then fails with "REST API DisabledEnable in WebAdmin Settings > REST API" in large letters.

We do not use the rest features but I have already turned this on. Whilst the admin panel is not working I can still navigate to https://sophos-utm:4444/api/quickstart.html

Is there a way to stop this happening?

Many thanks,

Tony

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • you can access the UTM via SSH / Console and restart the process responsible for webadmin. (Sorry, I don't know the right name right now)

Tell us something more about your device:

- Type

-version

- users

- VPN-Tunnels

- hardware resource usage from dashboard

Dirk

Systema Gesellschaft für angewandte Datentechnik mbH  // Sophos Platinum Partner
    Sophos Solution Partner since 2003
    If a post solves your question, click the 'Verify Answer' link at this post.

• Hi,

Many thanks for the quick reply.

I have managed to re-enable the web interface by using putty to connect as root and issue the command:

/etc/init.d/httpd restart

This fixes the issue for now but it happens every day.

We are using a Sophos utm 9.413-4  running from a hyperv disk image. 5 interfaces.

Disks are 25-25% full

CPU around 35% usage.

Ram 39% of 4Gb 

The device routes 4 local subnets, email traffice routing & has some web server rules. (And the VPNs:)

there are around 15 ssl vpn users all connected with the userportal client software. (traffic lights)

Also we have 5 html5 vpn users connecting to RDP sessions in webpages.

Is this a high volume for 8mb line? Could this be a possible cause of the problems.

I am a little concerned if I have no access to the building locating the UTM and the UTM stops completely I have no way to reboot/restart it. (I currently can occasionally be on site to manage critical issues)

Many thanks,

Tony

• I'm not sure what you mean by (traffic lights), Tony, but I would recommend transitioning the HTML5 users to the SSL VPN.  The HTML5 remote access method should be limited to one user at a time as it is extremely resource-intensive.

Another issue might be that it's been almost two years since the UTM last had Up2Dates applied. If you do du -h, what % full is the / directory?

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Hi,

Many thanks for your help.

Since Friday morning restarting the httpd service logged in as root the problem has not re-occurred. 

I used the HTML5 vpn solution for users as a quick fix but will provide them with an ssl client to free up resource on the UTM.

I will plan to upgrade the UTM to the latest version. (We encountered some issues with our web forwarding when we last rolled forward but will have to work through them to get to the latest version. Do I need to apply each update one-at-a-time? can I jump to the latest version?)

The du -h command returned 11G of data. (19% full)

Many thanks once again.

Tony

• Hi,

Many thanks for your help.

Since Friday morning restarting the httpd service logged in as root the problem has not re-occurred. 

I used the HTML5 vpn solution for users as a quick fix but will provide them with an ssl client to free up resource on the UTM.

I will plan to upgrade the UTM to the latest version. (We encountered some issues with our web forwarding when we last rolled forward but will have to work through them to get to the latest version. Do I need to apply each update one-at-a-time? can I jump to the latest version?)

The du -h command returned 11G of data. (19% full)

Many thanks once again.

Tony

Children
No Data