This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Where to set recipient E-Mail address for Quarantine Report

Hi,

we sometimes get Mails of our employees quarantined so I would like to receive the daily Quarantine Report.

Under Email Protection -> Quarantine Report the status is Enabled.

Under the Exceptions Tab there are no "Skip Address Patterns" defined.

Thus with the above settings I would expect a report to be sent to all the users.

However, this does not happen currently.

Why is this the case and how can I change it?

Thank you for your help!

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Hi Julius,

Refer to #6 in Rulz (last updated 2019-04-17).  The User object must have the email address(es) for which the user is to receive a quarantine report.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Hi Bob,

thanks for that.

Have now added the E-Mail address to my account under Users and will see if it sends out a Quarantine report.

Regards,

Julius

• Hi Bob,

even without setting the mail address now in the user section I managed to receive a Quarantine report by sending myself a mail from an external address with a DOC attachment (which we have marked as a blocked file extension). I guess that my assumption of the Quarantine Report was wrong.

I always thought of it being a general report that an Admin can receive instead of the user just being informed that an E-Mail to him has been qurantined.

So the report works fine for each individual user and is very helpful.

Is there an option in addition to the above, to also receive a summary quarantine report as an Administrator daily or perhaps just triggered in case there are any quarantined E-Mails?

Thanks!

• Have you taken a look at the Mail Manager, Julius?

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Hi Bob,

thank you for the hint with the Mail Manager.

Yes I know it and look at it regularly when I get a note from a user that his mail cannot be sent out due to SPAM suspicion.

But is there a report that can be generated from that to be sent to the Admin or do I have to check it myself every day?

• This could be done automatically, but it would require a lot of effort with PostgreSQL programming, a cron job and knowledge of sendmail.

You could give the Admin WebAdmin access as a 'Mail Manager' on the 'Access Control' tab.  That only allows access to Mail Manager, so the Admin could see the quarantine at any time without being able to make changes to your WebAdmin configuration.  You can create a test user and experiment with limited access.

Cheers - Bob  

MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Hi Bob,

thanks for your further thoughts.

I guess the easiest would be to just keep a browser bookmark to the Mail Manager and check it from time to time.

Julius

• Hi Bob,

could you explain a bit more on the solution that would send a mail to an admin account when mails get quarantined.

We have the situation nearly every day that a mail comes in that gets quarantined and sometimes we forget checking mail manager.

I see the automated solution being better for us so that we don´t forget to check for quarantined mails.

Regards,

Julius

• Sorry, Julius, but I don't have the requisite skill sets.

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Hi Bob,

is there someone else in the community that could help or what would be a good way to approach this?

Just thinkg out loud: Rather than taking the scripting approach, is there a way to always CC an admin mail address when a quarantine report is sent to a user for quarantined inbound or outbound mail?

And if not perhaps I could look into something on Exchange side.

Thanks,

Julius