This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

need help understanding/setting up RED device at home

Hi

We have a red device we want to setup on a foreign network in order to allow access to ours. In order to understand the configuration and how to securely connect i have been trying to get it working at my home.

I have been following the information here : https://community.sophos.com/kb/en-us/116573

but so far i haven't managed much in term of connection.

The only way i got the red online so far is if i choose Standard/Unified but the interface is constantly showing down  :

On the dhcp section of said article the interface home test doesn't appear at all.

Worst of all is i need to get this working as a transparent/split mode but as soon as i do this the device get disconnected and never come back online, until i switch back to standard/unified.
This always fail with the same error :
2017:12:25-22:33:22 fw-2 red2ctl[4543]: Missing keepalive from reds2:0, disabling peer 

i thought this would be a rather quick and easy setup to do before we deploy on a network we have no control over (yet)
Let me know your thoughts about this or if i missed any information

Thanks

Jerome

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Hi Jerome and welcome to the UTM Community!

I'm confused - are you inside the 192.168.42.0/24 network and is that the only LAN connected to your UTM?

What happens if you set it to DHCP mode instead of a fixed address and then plug the RED into a friend's home network instead of your own?

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Hi, thanks for replying.

my home pc is on the 192.168.42.0/24 network, my home BT hub is gateway set at 192.168.0.254, i had initially got the hub as dhcp then forced it as static as a test and it worked fine, currently sitting as 192.168.0.253

my main concern is that in that "simple" step the interface doesn't show up on the UTM side at work (cannot currently test with anybody), i can only guess it should.

if i change the configuration to anything but standard/unified then nothing works and the RED device is showing offline.

J

• I'm still confused about what's where.  Are you saying that the RED is at your home and the UTM is in a different location?  Or, are the UTM and the RED behind the same router?  If the latter, I don't think that can work.

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • The RED is at my home, while the UTM is at my work.

basically i'm trying to grant access to my home (192.168.42/24) access to our servers (10.1.0.0/24)

• In the RED definition in the UTM at work, choose DHCP instead of Fixed IP and Transparent/Split with your server subnet.  That should all just work.  If not, show pics of the Edit of the related Interface definition and of the new RED definition.

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • well i was going to try this but i can't, red device has been disabled as seems somebody else registered the device , i guess i shouldn't have posted the device id and unlock code :(

• You should get in touch with Sophos Support.  With a proof of purchase they should be able to fix you up.

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA