This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Multiple Subnets on RED10?

Is it possible to use multiple subnets using static routing through a RED10 connected to a UTM backend? I have a RED10 up in manual split mode routing a single subnet just fine, but it doesn't seem to work for additional subnets.

Basically, my network setup is like this:

Local network (RED10):

VLAN1 - 192.168.x.0/24

VLAN2 - 192.168.y.0/24

VLAN3 - 192.168.z.0/24

Remote network (UTM):

VLAN1 - 10.10.a.0/24

Everything works fine for the for VLAN1 to VLAN1 using a static route. I can also see connection attempts coming into the UTM for VLAN2 and VLAN3, but there is no response going back out. The firewall on the UTM is set to allow VLAN1, 2 and 3 (local) to VLAN1 (remote), and VLAN1 (remote) to VLAN1, 2 and 3 (local).

In addition, I have create a masquerading role for VLAN1, 2 and 3 going to a WAN on the UTM (shouldn't matter for my issue).

I am suspicious that the RED10 might only allow one subnet at a time. Can somebody confirm that? Any workaround? I really wish Sophos would make a few more enhancements to the REDs. It's a great concept that many other firewall manufacturers don't offer...

Thank you!

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • RED10 is indeed only supporting 1 VLAN. RED50 supports mulitple VLAN's.

I haven't tried whether or not a workaround would be possible, but if it is, you might be able to configure something with a summarization route in the tunnel, but as said I haven't tried anything like that before.

Managing several Sophos firewalls both at work and at some home locations, dedicated to continuously improve IT-security and feeling well helping others with their IT-security challenges.

• I agree with apijnappels that you can't have multiple VLANs with a RED 10.  Rather than a RED 50, I recommend an SG 115 with Network Protection.  That is more flexible and less expensive than a RED 50 with warranty extensions.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA