This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

RED suddenly unable to access the Internet

Hi,

We have a number RED's all working happly bridged to the same interface.

I have started to reconfigure these so they have their own interface and can run on their own subnets, (it makes locating remote devices easier via DHCP). The devices on their own interface are configured with x2 interfaces each, both are configured as Ethernet VLAN interfaces, with corresponding VLAN tags for voice & data traffic and the relevant RED assigned to the interaface.

The RED is configured as standard unified, so internet accesses is through the UTM and our own internet gateway rather than through the remote 'raw' internet in a split config.

This has all worked perfectly for the last 4-6 weeks, however suddenly in the last few days, users at these remote sites are unable to ping external sites. (browsing to *some* sites works), a trace from a host device sees the ping fall over at the UTM interface. Pings internal in the network work fine, and you can see the packet navigate past the UTM interface as you'd expect.

I've tried power cycling the RED, and deleting & recreating the interfaces with no appreciable change. I've checked all of our firewalls but as I expected you can't see anything on the firewall as the traffic doesn't even get that far

Does anyone have any ideas where I could look to diagnose this issue?

Many thanks

Richard

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Further testing has shown that devices internal to the network can be pinged, i.e. my own laptop, however I cannot ping the host connected to the RED. Tracing the route shows the ping falling over at the UTM's internal interface.

It's obviosuly something on the UTM that's causing this issue, but what? It's not effecting the multiple RED devices on an Ethernet Bridge. But the RED's configured with multiple VLAN's on their own interface(s) are unable to ping all external sites, (weirdly you can browse to most of them i.e. google).

Cheers

• Hi, Richard, and welcome to the UTM Community!

Are you seeing packets blocked in the UTM's Firewall log?  Did you already do #1 in Rulz?

Please show us a picture of the Edit of a RED that's misbehaving.  Also, a picture of the Edit of the related Interface.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Hi BAlfson,

Many thanks for you reply. I've actually managed to get this working now, I added a policy route to include the new subnets on the end of the red.

What confuses me now is why it worked perfectly fine for 6-8 weeks then suddenyl stopepd working and required these static routes adding? 

Cheers