This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

multiple VLAN's behind a RED

Hi,

Is it possible to configure a RED15 with UTM9.502 to work in this way?

Our remote sites are connected back to our data center/Call manager etc via RED15's however when using VOICE this makes DHCP very messy as currently we have all the RED's bridged. (so all sites end up in the same large subnet along with the IP phones)

I'd like to configure them so that each RED has it's own interface with it's specific subnet, this is easy enough, just add specific interfaces on the UTM for each range, however I'd also like the same RED to be able to handle a second subnet/VLAN for Voice. This is how we have all our non RED sites configured. 

As soon as I re-configure a RED15's interface on the UTM to Ethernet VLAN, with an appropriate IP in the correct VLAN & the same VLAN tag as configured on the switch behind the RED. All devices connected to the RED are then unable to communicate outside of their own network.

Quick and dirty diagram below of how I would like it to work.

Any help would be much appreciated.

many thanks

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • 1. Create the bridge interface for each RED.

2. Create a VLAN interface with the VOIP VLAN ID and use the bridge created in step 1 as hardware device. You do not need to give the UTM an IP in the VOIP subnet. If the UTM does not route traffic for this subnet, this could break the routing. In this case just enter a dummy IP in a unused range. Because the VOIP VLAN traffic is bridged and not routed, the connected clients will get their ip configuration via DHCP. Do not forget to allow traffic from VOIP VLAN to VOIP VLAN in a firewall rule. 

3. The red15 cannot tag / untag the traffic (you need a RED50 for that). You need a VLAN capable witch because the VOIP VLAN comes out tagged on all RED ports. 

That's it. 

• Thanks JanGatzke,

I can't create a bridged interface with only 1 RED assigned to it though?

I can create an Ethernet interface with the RED assigned to it as a hardware device, that works fine, but when i create a VLAN interface for the VOIP device and then also assign it to the same RED I don't get any connectivity with it. 

The interfaces as shown on the UTM appear up/up, and connectivity for the hosts continue to work, but there is no VOIP connectivity

• You need to bridge the red interface to the physical interface where the voip vlan is connected to (tagged). Otherwise there is no connection.

How is the voip vlan physicaly connected to the utm?

• We had a PTP configuration before and now we are using a red, but with the PTP, I was able to have my connection plugged into my core switch and have a flat network and be able to pass VLans though the core. If I would like to bridge the red and have it function like the PTP. Do you assign the bridge an IP address of the main VLan on the red side or IP address on the main Lan side? or Do you not put in an address if the core it doing the routing?