This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

RED offline update

Hi to all,

we have chose the RED technology to since  year 2014 for provide a remote assistance to the machines that our company produce.

At that time, no brand had a solution like the RED, and from the first device installed now we have 25 REDs installed around the world. But today another brands has solution similar to the RED and for some technical aspect maybe better.

And before starting to plan a migration we want check if there are some workarounds that can still the RED infrastructure a valid solution - for the use we make obviously.

We know that the RED solution is not conceived for remote assistance but mostly for connects company networks together. So the status forever online of the RED is taken for granted.

But this is not valid for the machines. And the most issues that we have with the RED comes from the fact that if a RED still remain for long time offline, there is the possibility that it remain too much back with the updates, to the point that it cannot realign with the firewall. And when this happens, the only solution that we have is to replace the device, but apart the cost, the times is the biggest problem.

We know that from the console port we can take the logs by using a rollover console cable and telnet, but is the only thing that the user can do from that port [the sophos technician can do more].

So, our request is if there is a way to push the firmware in an offline RED, maybe in the same way - through an USB pen - for the configuration.

Mostly the problem of losing the REDs, that are for a long time offline, is manifested when the device is configured with static IP but unfortunately, the most of the RED that we have, are configured in this way.

Thank for your time,

Regards

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Yes, you can. Read How to recover a Sophos RED device / Sophos Access Point.  Also, from the Help:

"With manual device deployment, the new entry in the RED list will have a Download button. Download the configuration file and save it to the root directory of a USB stick. Then plug the USB stick into the RED appliance before turning it on. The RED will fetch its configuration from the USB stick. After that the connection between your UTM and the RED appliance is going to be established."

Is that what you were looking for?  I'm surprised your reseller didn't tell you that.  It might make sense to get Premium Support when you next renew.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Hi Bob,

I'm looking for a way to update the firmware not the configuration. I wrote that this if will be possible like the configuration, with a usb pen, would be more easy but my problem is that I cannot update the firmware of the RED if it is offline.

Thanks for your help,

Regards

• Did you follow the first link?  I included the quote from the Help because you said that you often have a fixed IP the RED must use and the easiest way to get a configuration with a fixed IP to a remote RED is sending a USB stick to the site.

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • the problem that we have is caused from the offline status of the RED devices for a long time. So that, they remains too much back with the updates among the firmware version of the SG230. But the RED devices, that are configured with the DHCP usually they can synchronize the updates. instead, the RED devices with the static IP sometimes don't synchronize themselves and they freeze. When this issue coming, the upload of the configuration file do not resolve. The only way is the complete reset of the RED device.

Regards

• Correct.  That's why the solution presented in the KnowledgeBase article is your first step.

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Hi BAlfson -

I tried the recovery tool but I get the  "flash failed".  Can I applied the firmware via USB?

thanks,

• Hi and welcome to the UTM Community!

No, the only solution is the flash tool.  If this is a RED 10, the only solution is to replace it with a RED 15.  If it's a RED 50 that's out of warranty, I would suggest replacing it with an SG 115 with a Network Protection subscription.

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Hi and welcome to the UTM Community!

No, the only solution is the flash tool.  If this is a RED 10, the only solution is to replace it with a RED 15.  If it's a RED 50 that's out of warranty, I would suggest replacing it with an SG 115 with a Network Protection subscription.

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA
Children
No Data