This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

How to reserve IP address for a specific MAC?

Hey guys!

I've got an XG105, and can't find where to associate addresses to Mac addresses (coming from a Cisco ISA series here). Where's that menu option?  I'm wallowing around in Configure > Network > DHCP and am feeling pretty daft!

Thanks!

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • XG or SG ? running utm or xg ?

for utm : community.sophos.com/.../115147

Static Mappings

On the Network Services > DHCP > Static Mappings tab you can create static mappings between client and IP address for some or all clients. For that purpose, you need a configured DHCP server and, depending on the IP version of the DHCP server, the MAC address of the client's network card (with IPv4) or the DHCP Unique Identifier (DUID) of the client (with IPv6).

Note - To avoid an IP address clash between regularly assigned addresses from the DHCP pool and those statically mapped make sure that the latter are not in the scope of the DHCP pool. For example, a static mapping of 192.168.0.200 could result in two systems receiving the same IP address if the DHCP pool is 192.168.0.100 – 192.168.0.210.

To create a static client/IP address mapping, proceed as follows:

1. On the Static Mappings tab, click New DHCP Mapping.

The Create New Mapping dialog box opens.

2. Make the following settings:

DHCP server: Enter the DHCP server to be used for static mapping.

MAC address (only with IPv4 DHCP server): Enter the MAC address of the client's network interface card. The MAC addresses are usually specified in a format consisting of six groups of two hexadecimal digits, separated by colons (e.g., 00:04:76:16:EA:62).

DUID address (only with IPv6 DHCP server): Enter the DUID of the client. With e.g. Windows operating systems, it can be found in the Windows Registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\TCPIP6\Parameters

Please note that you have to enter the groups of two hexadecimal digits separated by colons (e.g., 00:01:00:01:13:30:65:56:00:50:56:b2:07:51).

IPv4 address/IPv6 address: Enter the IP address of the client. The IP address must be within the address range of the network interface card.

Comment (optional): Add a description or other information.

3. Click Save.

The new mapping appears on the Static Mappings list.

To either edit or delete a static mapping, click the corresponding buttons.

• Thanks for answering!  I'm running XG, and I must be truly blind.  I can't map any of the labels or buttons you've mentioned to actual interface components.  Mine looks like this here:

• Sorry this is the UTM forum you might get quicker help posting it in the correct XG forum.

but do look here (it has even examples) https://community.sophos.com/kb/en-us/123133

• We mods here can't move threads to other major forums, just between UTM sub-forums.  You can PM Bianson to ask for a move.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • We mods here can't move threads to other major forums, just between UTM sub-forums.  You can PM Bianson to ask for a move.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
Children
No Data