This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Suggestions for VOIP phones behind Standard/Split mode RED

Hi,

I'm trying to get some quality of service for some externally hosted VoIP phones which are sat behind a red 15 in standard split mode.

Currently we have 4 industrial units on the same site with Red 15 devices in. Each shed is provided internet access via a microwave link which goes back to a central point and out over the internet. I have no control over the links to the central point or the router that connects the whole site to the internet as this is provided by our ISP. So if someone in one unit starts to hammer the connection it can affect the rest of the units and thereby the phones.

Speaking to our ISP they maybe willing to prioritise tagged VOIP packets or certain subnets. However to know if this would work I would need to know if the 802.11p tags would pass though the RED or if the RED does NAT or routes the traffic in standard split mode. 

There maybe other solutions that might be better and I'm open to suggestions.

I don't really want to put the RED devices in the unified mode as I would like to avoid the extra WAN traffic at our headquarters where the UTM lives. If it was in unified mode I realise I would get a the full flexibility of my UTM, VLAN's throttling etc. 

Each shed has its own subnet. I also have a WiFi network that has its own subnet which is available at all the units and the HQ

The Wan port on the RED connects to a privately addressed network for the microwave point to point links. The central outpoint has a router that runs NAT for this network out onto the internet.

Any suggestions appreciated.

C

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Reading around I can see the Red 50 supports Vlan tagging. I wonder what a RED 15 would do with the QOS tags? It might drop the packet or it might ignore the tags and forward it anyway...

• Chris, RED = Remote Ethernet Device.  It only puts Ethernet packets into the tunnel if the destination IP is reached via the tunnel.  Any QoS tags will be left intact regardless of whether the packet leaves inside or outside the tunnel.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Chris, RED = Remote Ethernet Device.  It only puts Ethernet packets into the tunnel if the destination IP is reached via the tunnel.  Any QoS tags will be left intact regardless of whether the packet leaves inside or outside the tunnel.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
Children
No Data