This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

VPN for one device, direct internet for all other devices

I have invested in a Sophos UTM 110/120 box which will replace my Asus router for my home address. The idea is to have a Qnap NAS at home which is synchronizing with a server at work for backup via a VPN connection between my home and the office.

I would like the rest of my devices at home going out on the internet directly, and not through the VPN tunnel. So the Qnap through the VPN connection and all the rest directly.

Can this be done? and can it be done in a way where I still can connect to the Qnap locally on the home network?

Thanks

Nick

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Hi, Nick, and welcome to the UTM Community!

Do you have a UTM at your office?  If so, you can make a RED tunnel, but that approach will require a route and a firewall rule.

Assuming that this thread should be moved to the VPN forum and that you will want to use an IPsec Site-to-Site tunnel, the only "trick" is that the IPsec Connection will be defined with only a Host object for your Qnap in the 'Local Networks' box.

Cheers - Bob

PS If this is off-site backup for business purposes, you would need a paid license instead of the free home-use license.  If you do have a UTM at the office, the most cost-effective solution would be a RED 15 at home behind your UTM 120 with a Free Home-Use license.  More difficult, but probably even less expensive would be adding an L2TP/IPsec tunnel from the Qnap to your office firewall.

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA