This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

*Unofficial* 3G/UMTS Devices Compatibility List

The OFFICIAL compatibility list is currently at 3G/UMTS devices supported by Sophos RED10 rev.2/3 and Sophos RED50 rev.1

As it does not contain all possible sticks, I've created this thread...

Please don't post questions like "will X work?" here. Open a new thread if you have a question about buying hardware not already mentioned here.
Open a new thread if you have an installation or other question.

I propose that we post here with our tested configurations, Astaro versions, and success or problems, using this template:

Template for copying/pasting:
Status: [Working|NOT Working] currently using at [RED10|RED50]
Astaro Version(s) tested:
Total Cost: (optional, please specify currency, retail|used, and date)
Comments / Notes: 

Note that one can EDIT their post later to add changes/corrections instead of posting a 'correction' post.

Please don't post questions like "will X work?" here. Open a new thread if you have a question about buying hardware not already mentioned here.

Thanks!
Andreas

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Some famous last words.... thank you Huawei for inventing HiLink.

After struggling with a lot of actually buyable sticks I decided to go back to the old model of which I know that it works and so I ordered three E3272 (E3272s-153, same model I've been owning for years).

Today  they arrived and I instantly plug one into the first RED 15W, connect it to the power line and...... NOTHING! The RED device does not recognize it.... WTF. Reboot and reboot and so on.

Luckily I do not have much hair left to rip off and so I started to search the web where I found lots of posts from people complaining about HiLink and connection problems and how to get rid of this. To be honest, I had to check out what HiLink is... And yes, these freshly delivered sticks even they are an old model are "equipped" with this mercy of mankind. My old E3272 does not have that.

Now what do people do to get rid of HiLink? To temporarily disable it they use AT-commands (I felt like 30 years ago when I bought my first Robotics modem while reading that...). To permanently disable HiLink you have to flash another firmware.

Allright, let's flash these brandnew sticks (And loose warranty... but hey, nothing keeps me away from achieving my goals). HiLink firmware starts with version 22, standard modem firmware with 21 and I found a website where all these versions are offered. After tinkering with the drivers I ran the flashing software, flashed firmware version 21.420.99.07.00 and.... will it work?

Well, the first moment after plugging in a modified piece of hardware is still exciting for me (If you have soldered IC's on Zyxel modems to raise the connect rate from 14.400 to 16.800 in the beginning of the 90's you know what I mean), even for an old IT fart like me. And yes, it works! All the new and shining RED 15W devices connect to the UTM.

Some conclusions:

It seems that Huawei sticks running in HiLink mode cannot be recognized by the RED devices. All the working old sticks I've tried are simple modems and the new E3272 sticks are now modems, too.

The Vodafone K5160 and the T-Online LTE V (Internally E3372) I've tested probably were running in HiLink mode, too. I don't know what D-Link is using, but I believe there is something similiar. I have sent these unusable sticks back and cannot tell more about them.

Huawei E3272s-153

Astaro Version(s) tested: 9.405-5
    Total Cost: 75 Euros
    Comments / Notes:

Only recognized by RED device if NOT running in HiLink mode!

• Some famous last words.... thank you Huawei for inventing HiLink.

After struggling with a lot of actually buyable sticks I decided to go back to the old model of which I know that it works and so I ordered three E3272 (E3272s-153, same model I've been owning for years).

Today  they arrived and I instantly plug one into the first RED 15W, connect it to the power line and...... NOTHING! The RED device does not recognize it.... WTF. Reboot and reboot and so on.

Luckily I do not have much hair left to rip off and so I started to search the web where I found lots of posts from people complaining about HiLink and connection problems and how to get rid of this. To be honest, I had to check out what HiLink is... And yes, these freshly delivered sticks even they are an old model are "equipped" with this mercy of mankind. My old E3272 does not have that.

Now what do people do to get rid of HiLink? To temporarily disable it they use AT-commands (I felt like 30 years ago when I bought my first Robotics modem while reading that...). To permanently disable HiLink you have to flash another firmware.

Allright, let's flash these brandnew sticks (And loose warranty... but hey, nothing keeps me away from achieving my goals). HiLink firmware starts with version 22, standard modem firmware with 21 and I found a website where all these versions are offered. After tinkering with the drivers I ran the flashing software, flashed firmware version 21.420.99.07.00 and.... will it work?

Well, the first moment after plugging in a modified piece of hardware is still exciting for me (If you have soldered IC's on Zyxel modems to raise the connect rate from 14.400 to 16.800 in the beginning of the 90's you know what I mean), even for an old IT fart like me. And yes, it works! All the new and shining RED 15W devices connect to the UTM.

Some conclusions:

It seems that Huawei sticks running in HiLink mode cannot be recognized by the RED devices. All the working old sticks I've tried are simple modems and the new E3272 sticks are now modems, too.

The Vodafone K5160 and the T-Online LTE V (Internally E3372) I've tested probably were running in HiLink mode, too. I don't know what D-Link is using, but I believe there is something similiar. I have sent these unusable sticks back and cannot tell more about them.

Huawei E3272s-153

Astaro Version(s) tested: 9.405-5
    Total Cost: 75 Euros
    Comments / Notes:

Only recognized by RED device if NOT running in HiLink mode!

Children
No Data