This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

new IP address for RED location

Our ISP has told us our static IP is changing, and I need to know where to updated this in the config for our RED10.  We currently have a 120 in our head office, and just 1 RED in a remote office.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • lbiw, I don't think you have anything to change in the RED or Astaro.  The RED gets its configuration from a server in the cloud, and that contains the FQDN needed to reach the Astaro.  You only need to update your public DNS.  If there's any interruption, you might need to power off the RED to force it to re-resolve the FQDN sooner.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • I say: it depends :-)

If you have a FQDN in RED Management-> [Server] Client Management-> your RED-> ASG Hostname that resolves to your new static address, then you should not need to change anything. If you have your old static ip in there you have to change it. The RED device will fetch the new config from the red deployment servers (..cloud..) and connect to the new address.

Regards
    Manfred
  • Thanks.  The WAN IP for the RED device is changing.  the 120 is remaining the same.  the ASG Hostname in the RED config lists our ***.domain.com.

The company that we purchased the Astaro devices through said we just need to update the new IP in the RED configuration page.  However, when I log into the admin portal I don't see a place for this setting.
  • How about that - I learn something new here everyday!  You guys just forced me to read the documentation, and, wonderment - you CAN use a public IP in the Hostname field!

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • If just the WAN IP of the Router in front of your RED is changing, then you have do nothing. It is the RED device that is establishing the connection to the asg and as long as there is no change of your asg ip you will be fine.

Regards
    Manfred
  • where do I change the WAN IP for the RED?  I cant figure this out.  Can it be done from the GUI?  I have minimal experience with shell access.
  • It's not necessary to change the WAN IP - not anywhere other than your public DNS record - no public IP needs to change in the Astaro unless the 'Hostname' field in 'Client Management' is a numeric IP - and you have stated that it is not.

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Thanks all.  Got this changed in the GUI.  I needed to changed the assignment type from DHCP to Static.  After applying, the RED was updated and everything is working.

Thanks again.
  • Hi all,

sorry for opening the old thread but I think my question is related to the topic ant it is mu better then opening net one.

We are running Sophos UTM 9 and to this device are connected RED 10 and RED 15 devices.

As we are goint to change ISP the public IP of UTM is going to be changed. Unfortunately previous IT guy did not use FQDN in REDs configuration but numberic public IP od UTM.

Now I need to confirm what is the correct procedure of changing public IP of UTM in RED configuration. Shoul I firs go to RED management - [Server] Client Management and change the "UTM Hostname:" to the new IP and when this is done do the IP reconfiguration of WAN interface?

What to do in case that something goes wrong and i need to revert back the original IP od WAN interface on UTM? Is there any way back how to reconfigure RED from the NEW IP to the original one? Is there any SSH access to the device? All REDs are configured as Uplink mode: DHCP, Operation mode: Standard / Split so they will have internet connectivity all the time.

thank you for your patience and help

• Ahoj Miroslav and welcome to the UTM Community!

REDs don't get their configurations directly from the UTM - they get them from a cloud service.  If they lose connection with the UTM and cannot reconnect, they will query the cloud service.  When a change is made in the Server configuration in the UTM, the RED retrieves the configuration from the cloud.

Net net - go ahead and change the configuration to use an FQDN.

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA