This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Reset or reflash RED10 like an APxx

Today one of our RED Devices suddenly stopped working (no firmupdate or something else - just PLOP -> dead).

Now just the power LED (and the LAN Led if connected) are on and nothing happens. I disconnected everything from the RED, waited a hour and plugged in just the powersupply but nothing happens - just the power LED is on.

According to the blinkcodes sheets the unit isn't booting anymore.
Is there a way to reflash a RED just like an APxx or is there an other way to 'hardreset' such a unit?.

Regards
Manfred

Btw. Best thing about it is, that the warranty ended a month ago .. but that so typical for electronic devices.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Hi Bob,

I already contacted the support with an RMA request but they denied it and told me to contact the sales department as I asked for a good will solution. I understand that there must be rules/deadlines but I hoped on a little good will or accommodation (I don't know the correct word for 'Kulanz').

I will contact my reseller tomorrow and see if he can do something else than selling me a new device :-).

Regards
    little angry Manfred ;-)
  • Hi Bob,

I already contacted the support with an RMA request but they denied it and told me to contact the sales department as I asked for a good will solution. I understand that there must be rules/deadlines but I hoped on a little good will or accommodation (I don't know the correct word for 'Kulanz').

I will contact my reseller tomorrow and see if he can do something else than selling me a new device :-).

Regards
    little angry Manfred ;-)
Children
  • Does the device pull an IP address from DHCP?  If so... here's a technique I've used to reset one that went awry once (taken from a combination of support info and things I did):

There is one way to completely blow the configuration from the RED and force it to go out the provisioning server to pull a new config, as just using the unlock code may not work since the RED always goes back to the its previously connected ASG and if it finds that, it will be happy and not go out to find a new config.

The way I have it setup here is I just created a new interface on a spare NIC on our Astaro. Then create 2 PF rules:

1.) NETWORK -- ANY -- RED.ASTARO.COM -- AlLOW
    2.) NETWORK -- ANY -- ANY -- DROP

You could do it by the IP the RED gets as well but we just do so many here I found it easier to just create a new network for our lab.

Then just plug the REDs WAN port into that interface and let it sit, watch the PF log and watch it drop a few times then it will be back to its factory state and will go out to the provisioning server next time.

--- If it's not pulling an IP or trying to "phone home" ... there's probably a way to reflash it using that tool that was posted in the Wireless Forum, but you'd need a firmware file -- if you've got nothing to lose you could try to find the firmware file on your ASG installation. -- do this at your own risk.  I did a cursory search on a local ASG for anything resembling a firmware file for a RED and found nothing -- found the wireless AP firmware though.

Barring all that, though... it may not even be possible to re-flash it -- it may be "dead."

CTO, Convergent Information Security Solutions, LLC

https://www.convergesecurity.com

Sophos Platinum Partner

--------------------------------------

Advice given as posted on this forum does not construe a support relationship or other relationship with Convergent Information Security Solutions, LLC or its subsidiaries.  Use the advice given at your own risk.