This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Intermittent connection problems with WiFi on RED 15w

Hi there,

does anyone else have problems with WiFi clients connecting to a RED 15w? The UTM that the RED 15w is attached to via tunnel is a SG230 running firmware 9.605-1.
The clients that are connected to the RED 15w suddenly (since last thursday) lose their connection between every 5 to 10 minutes for about half a minute.
During that time the WiFi SSID seems to be not broadcasted (at least Windows 10 clients don't see the WiFi network). After that time they automatically reconnect.

LAN-connections run perfectly smooth and reliable, though, too bad that all the clients at that remote location are using WiFi to connect...

Since we already had problems with high CPU usage on other Sophos WiFi installations (not currently, though) after certain firmware updates on SGs, I tried disabling (deleting) the RED 15w's access point and reprovisioning it (no change), disabling and reenabling the RED in [Server] Client Management and, finally, deleting and reprovisioning the RED, all to no avail.

Since 9.605-1 was installed on August 3rd, I don't see a connection here.

Does anybody have any idea if that problem may be firmware-related, though (or have any other idea)???

Thanks in advance for your input!

Timm

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Hallo Timm and welcome to the UTM Community!

At the command line as root, do cc set red use_unified_firmware 0.  Does that change what you're seeing?

Cheers - Bob 

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Hi Bob,

thanks for your reply, I tried the setting, but behavior on the wifi side has not changed.

I used the setting above, then after reprovisioning, I deleted the access point of the RED 15w and reprovisioned that, too, and, for a change, toggled tunnel compression in RED config to force a reconnect. Problem persists.

Next week I will go to the remote location and attach an AP 55 to one of the RED 15w's LAN ports and disable the internal wifi.

Let's see if that is working...

I left the setting you mentioned above active, but as I understand it, that merely addresses an issue where RED's have problems connecting to the controlling UTM (which is working fine) after (crappy) firmware 9.601 ?

Cheers,

Timm

• Hi Bob,

thanks for your reply, I tried the setting, but behavior on the wifi side has not changed.

I used the setting above, then after reprovisioning, I deleted the access point of the RED 15w and reprovisioned that, too, and, for a change, toggled tunnel compression in RED config to force a reconnect. Problem persists.

Next week I will go to the remote location and attach an AP 55 to one of the RED 15w's LAN ports and disable the internal wifi.

Let's see if that is working...

I left the setting you mentioned above active, but as I understand it, that merely addresses an issue where RED's have problems connecting to the controlling UTM (which is working fine) after (crappy) firmware 9.601 ?

Cheers,

Timm

Children
No Data