This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

"Old" RED50 cannot be provisioned - change after update brick

Hi everyone,

after the Up2Date bricked one of our RED50 (RMA is running) i needed to exchange the RED before the exchange from Sophos arrives.

I took one of our backup RED50s (about 1 1/2 year old) and tried to attach it. I configured everything and it looks fine in UTM.

The RED is sitting behind a router (fritzbox like) and gets an internal ip. I can reach the ports from the provisioning server when i am also connect to this router.

But the RED cannot get its config from the provisioning server.

It says network setup (i can see the ip @ the router) - then trying WAN1 - then for some milliseconds - try prov server and then proceed to WAN2. Is the provisioning server expecting a specific firmware version on the RED or is it backwards compatible?!? The firmware must be pretty old.

Best regards

Stephan

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • To others,

If it turns out that you can't get a free replacement from Sophos, my recommendation is to replace a RED 50 with an SG 115 with a Network Protection subscription.  That will give you more flexibility and will cost less over time than a RED 50 with Warranty Extensions.  You can configure a RED tunnel in your main office UTM and just replace the reds# in your existing Interface definition with the new one.  Depending on your present configuration, there might be very little needed to configure the new SG 115.

Cheers - Bob

PS Stephan, it sounds like you may be in this boat with this backup device.

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Hi Bob,

I found the concept of the REDs very good (and it is working for 3 other branch offices). 

At the moment it is a combination of bad service management (our supplier), bad luck (2 dead ones) and no answer from Sophos concerning the "old" RED.

If it is no valid backup plan to have one in the closet for emergencies so say it on the website.

I won't buy anything new from Sophos as i decided to move from Sophos as soon as our license is expiring. The all in one solution is not suitable for us anymore. Also the last support cases were not really helpful.

Best regards

Stephan

• Hi Bob,

I found the concept of the REDs very good (and it is working for 3 other branch offices). 

At the moment it is a combination of bad service management (our supplier), bad luck (2 dead ones) and no answer from Sophos concerning the "old" RED.

If it is no valid backup plan to have one in the closet for emergencies so say it on the website.

I won't buy anything new from Sophos as i decided to move from Sophos as soon as our license is expiring. The all in one solution is not suitable for us anymore. Also the last support cases were not really helpful.

Best regards

Stephan

Children
No Data