This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Known issues with RED15W, deaf USB ports and FW 9.603-1?

Since some weeks, I cannot nail it down exactly, our RED15W's are showing a strange behaviour. All of them are using the same type of UMTS stick, a Huawei 3272. But four of five do not communicate with their configured sticks anymore. To me it looks like their USB ports are somehow deaf. The network LED on the sticks are blinking, so they have power.

The sticks are working perfectly in an AVM Fritzbox 3272, they connect to the ISP and the connects are stable. When I use the Fritzbox as a router and connect a RED15W to it, the RED15W starts and builds a stable tunnel to the UTM. With a stick in the USB port the system LED goes red (Usual for UMTS connects), the router LED is green. Then it lasts about 20 to 30secs until they both start blinking for about 10 secs, get off and then start over again and again with the same result. I forced the RED's to load their config again, but that didn't make a difference.

WTF... RED15W works for itself, the stick too, but not together.  And four of five are showing this, the 5th connects happily with its stick and has been working for years.

There are three AVM 3272 leftover and I can get three of our external stock buildings connected again, but having yet another device in the connect chain is not what I want.

Anybody having the same prob or am I the only unlucky fellow on the planet?

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Hi

Welcome to the Sophos Community!

Have you tried using any other UMTS stick with any of those RED devices? Further, would you confirm if all RED15w are connected to the same UTM9?

Regards

Jaydeep

• Jaydeep said:

Hi

Welcome to the Sophos Community!

Thank you! Well, I'm using Astaro/Sophos UTM since 2002 and have been a member of this club for more than 10 years, but hey, it's ok. :-)

Jaydeep said:
    Have you tried using any other UMTS stick with any of those RED devices?

Not yet, need to look for another stick. In the past the RED's have been very touchy accepting UTMS sticks and I actually have no idea which one will be accepted without hassles. In this thread I've described my lengthy way to find a working stick.

Jaydeep said:
    Further, would you confirm if all RED15w are connected to the same UTM9?

Confirmed. There's only one UTM they can connect to.

• Hi  

gsxfan said:

Thank you! Well, I'm using Astaro/Sophos UTM since 2002 and have been a member of this club for more than 10 years, but hey, it's ok. :-)

I was welcoming hosts to their own home!! [:$]

This issue seems to be either with USB drivers during an update or simply a hardware issue. It looks strange that it happened with 4 devices at the same time but I have seen stranger things happened. You should ask Support to check into this and if they can't identify it, RMA is the option.

Regards

Jaydeep

• Hi Jaydeep,

Jaydeep said:

Well, nobody's perfect. ;)

Jaydeep said:
    This issue seems to be either with USB drivers during an update or simply a hardware issue. It looks strange that it happened with 4 devices at the same time but I have seen stranger things happened. You should ask Support to check into this and if they can't identify it, RMA is the option.

I've talked to support and the RMA procedure is on the way. But it remains obvious that none of the Huawei sticks that have been working for a long time now are refused. And all of them are working perfect in other routing devices like a Fritzbox or in my Dovado router.

An older D-Link (DWM-221) stick I've digged out which didn't work some two years ago now can be used, the RED's recognize it and connect. I just don't know what the developers of the UTM firmware have done, but only a little rascal would see parallels to the actual attitude against Huawei and their products.

• Hi Jaydeep,

Jaydeep said:

Well, nobody's perfect. ;)

Jaydeep said:

I've talked to support and the RMA procedure is on the way. But it remains obvious that none of the Huawei sticks that have been working for a long time now are refused. And all of them are working perfect in other routing devices like a Fritzbox or in my Dovado router.

An older D-Link (DWM-221) stick I've digged out which didn't work some two years ago now can be used, the RED's recognize it and connect. I just don't know what the developers of the UTM firmware have done, but only a little rascal would see parallels to the actual attitude against Huawei and their products.

Children
No Data