This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

RED50 Overflow issue reds1:0 when doing anything with Active Directory / SG320 with RED50 / Firmware: 9.601-4

Environment:

Main Office:
Sophos SG320 with UTM 9.601-4
2 x Windows Server 2012 Domain Controllers

3 Branch Offices with ASE Circuits and RODC's

1 Branch Office with RED50

Issue:

We recently had to demote a domain controller in our branch office behind a RED50, it was having alot of issues, which initially i suspected were just the DC itself having issues.  But when we tried to stand up a new RODC (Server 2012 R2 Standard), it joined the domain(albeit connections lost, didnt notice at the time), then became an RODC, but never replicated NETLOGON or SYSVOL no matter what Microsoft troubleshooting we did.  Telnet 389 and Telnet 53 all work to our Main Office DC's.  Replication works in our 3 other offices to RODCs connected via ASE circuits.  It is only behind this RED50 that have any issues.

So left that in hopes it might replicate and create the NETLOGON / SYSVOL, and moved on to our workstations and a NAS that needed to join the Windows domain, but would have to do it by reaching out to DCs in our main office across the RED50 link, changed DHCP to hand out the DNS1 and DNS2 of Main Office to the systems in Branch Office behind RED50.

This revealed a concern in that every time we tried to join a computer or NAS to the domain, it would fail, and the RED would crash with a "Overflow....reds1:0", and then logs about reloading, which would essentially disconnect the entire remote office until RED came back up 2-3 minutes later.

Our SG320 is running UTM 9.601-4,  i have tried disabling IPS, ATP, Web Filtering, and set Any > Any > Any Firewall rules. Our NAT is basic "NETWORK(LAN)" - "WAN Interface"

I monitored our traffic between the RED50 and the Main Office via the UTM firewall logs, and traffic to 389 and 53 seems to be listed as allowed, even 445 is allowed, but attempts to join the domain fail for any device behind the RED50.  Only those that were previously domain joined are still working.  No new devices can be joined.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • You've been around for awhile, but this seems to be your first post in the UTM Community - welcome!

There is no version 9.604 as the latest is 9.601.  The last time there was a 9.x04-1 was 9.504-1 and that would indicate that you might want to consider applying Up2Dates to 9.601.  Does this old problem persist after applying the Up2Dates?

If that doesn't resolve this, I would be curious to know what Sophos Support tells you.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • So guessing you didn't read the whole thing, but that's ok :)  My title was incorrect, yes, I'm running 9.601-4, ill make that adjustment in the title. Thank you for the observation.

The firmware is one that i do suspect could part of the problem, i have opened a ticket with support.  This post was to see if anyone else in the community had dealt with similar or the same issue.

I have been able to recreate the issue with Sophos support, and they did escalate it, so when i get some more details back from them i will post it here should anyone in the future face this problem.

Thanks for the reply BAlfson.