This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

UTM 9.601 - RED issues!

Since upgrading all our customers to 9.601, a bigger part of them are complaining about RED's re/disconnection in a no-pattern way.

It started for all of them just the night we upgraded to 9.601, and they all are on different ISP's and located different places around the country.

Been with Sophos support for 2 hours today, and now they escalated it to higher grounds.

Will return with an update....

Suspicious entries in the log - but all connected REDs do this before connection:

2019:03:06-15:15:38 fw01-2 red_server[17509]: SELF: Cannot do SSL handshake on socket accept from 'xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx': SSL connect accept failed because of handshake problems

2019:03:06-15:15:46 fw01-2 red2ctl[12420]: Missing keepalive from reds3:0, disabling peer xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

I know the last line is written before the tunnel disconnects, because there was no "PING/PONG" answer...

One customer has 2 x RD 50, one 1 100% stable and the other fluctuates in random intervals - we replaced this with a new RED 50, but the same thing occurs.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Same issues here after 9.601-5 UTM update. 2x RED50 Rev 1. Drop multiple ISPs at varying intervals and lengths. It was advised to re-create RED in UTM. I have performed this, but problems still persist. I was sent two replacement RED50. The first one has been replaced, a new config created, but problem persists. ISPs modems have been replaced although they were reluctant to do so. One of the REDs wont recognize the presence of ISP on WAN1 at all.

We are losing a lot of productivity and business. We do a sizeable portion of our business via teleconferencing.

Support Tickets#

The tech alluded to a potential issue with REDs after the update to 9.6.01-5.

• My problem is resolved. There is a known issue related to unified firmware.

from su -

cc get red use_unified_firmware

if value returned = 1

cc set red use_unified_firmware 0

reds will update and reboot

confirm value is 0 rerunning get command above

NOT A PERMANENT FIX. The issue needs to be addressed in Sophos UTM firmware permanently.

• this also worked for me ...

• Today the Tunnel of one RED was down again (with use_unified_firmware = 0). It was the one that was problematic after updating to 9.601-5

Disabling and reenabling the RED did not fix the issue. After switching back to 'unified firmware' alle REDs are UP again (use_unified_firmware = 1)

I think it has to bee something different as the issue still apears after one day (with or without unified firmware). ...

However it is related to version 9.601 as i did not have issues before the update...

• Hallo somi and welcome to the UTM Community!

Based on what others have said above, I would push Sophos Support to RMA the failing RED.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Hey Bob,

thanks, we already replaced that RED with a brand new RED 15 - same thing.

Regards,

Michael

• ...it seems to be a timing issue... When i disable the RED for 5 minutes on the UTM it works fine shortly after reenabling it again.

No 'stabelizing peers' and such in the log - just 'tunnel -up' -> PING PONG, PING PONG

Tunnel is stable until the DSL-Line does its 24h reconnect then.
    This brings it out of 'sync'...

Then until i disable and reenable the RED i can see -> boot -> stabelizing peers -> 5 ICMP Packets go through the tunnel (yay!) -> unstable peers -> reboot (oh no!)
    ... over and over again ...

• ...it seems to be a timing issue... When i disable the RED for 5 minutes on the UTM it works fine shortly after reenabling it again.

No 'stabelizing peers' and such in the log - just 'tunnel -up' -> PING PONG, PING PONG

Tunnel is stable until the DSL-Line does its 24h reconnect then.
    This brings it out of 'sync'...

Then until i disable and reenable the RED i can see -> boot -> stabelizing peers -> 5 ICMP Packets go through the tunnel (yay!) -> unstable peers -> reboot (oh no!)
    ... over and over again ...

Children
No Data