This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

RED 50 with two wan connections and load balancing configured slows down internet speed

Hi,

we have a customer with a vUTM (100Mbps synchronous) and a RED 50 connected to it by 10Mbps synchronous WAN link (Copper). This Link works (not very good due to the copper connection but it works).

The customer decided to get more speed by adding an LTE WAN link. This connection is also not so good but a speed of about 16Mbps down and 8Mbps up (measured at the LTE router) would nearly double the combined speed.

But if we change the configuration of the RED to load balancing the speed breaks down to 0.5Mbps down and about 2Mbps up.

Firmware of vUTM is 9.510-5, RED is in Standard/Unified mode.

Does anybody have an idea?

If you have any question please ask.

Thanks a lot in advance.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Hi Thorsten,

load balacing does not mean that the speed is combined.

You have two ways that your red is using.
    One way is with 8Mbps and the other with 10Mbps.

So keep in mind: 1 source, 1 destination, 1 way.

Also when you use the mode Standrad/Unified, all traffic is passed over the utm.
    Here you have to keep an eye of the upload from you 100Mbps connection because this is the download from the red connection.

But I have no idea why the load balacing slows down your connection speed to those parameters.

Best Regards
    DKKDG

• Thanks DKKDG,

I know that I cannot combine the two speeds for one connection.

But another source-destination-pair should use the other line.

And the upload is also 100Mbps because its a synchronous connection. So that's not the problem.

And we checked both lines behind the RED by disconnecting the cable from the corresponding other wan connection and both lines are good behind the RED.

But together (in failover mode it's working correctly) in load balancing mode the speed is horrible.

• Hi Thorsten,

I have understand that you have an symmetric 100Mbit connection but if the connection uses 95Mbps of your upload you red has only 5 Mbps download.

The question here is how the load balacing algorithm works.

One thing i have read in the "online" help is this here:
    Balancing: Select to activate active load balancing between both uplinks. This makes sense if both uplinks on the RED 50 appliance are equal in latency and throughput.

Maybe the Problem here is that the external connections one the RED are not the same and the load balacing algorithm has problem with that.

In this case I would contact the sophos support.

Best Regards
    DKKDG

• OK,

got it.

But the maximum was about 30Mbps used. So no problem here.

I already opened a support case. Got no answer till now.

Thatswhy I tried to get some help here.

Thanks a lot for your suggestions.

• Hallo Thorsten - your first posts here - welcome to the UTM Community!

It's not clear to me what you mean by "load balancing" or how you're measuring throughput.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Hi Bob,

the RED50 has the option to use two wan connections.

And you have to options how to use them:

- failover

- load balancing

Here is the corresponding help topic: RED Management - Client Management.pdf

For measuring throughput I used speedtest.net, I was the only client behind the red while testing and I tested more than once.

And of course we noticed really an extremely slow performance with load balancing.

Greetings from Germany - Thorsten

• I'll be interested in what Support has to say, Thorsten.

The way load balancing works, a single connection to speedtest.net uses only one WAN connection.  Apparently, it always favors the slower connection when there's only a single client.  You could test that by switching the positions of the WAN connections in failover mode.

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • I'll be interested in what Support has to say, Thorsten.

The way load balancing works, a single connection to speedtest.net uses only one WAN connection.  Apparently, it always favors the slower connection when there's only a single client.  You could test that by switching the positions of the WAN connections in failover mode.

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA
Children
No Data