This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Limit bandwith during business hours?

We run backups from remote servers to our location every night.  We were having some issues with it taking up all the bandwith and limiting our other applications from functioning well.  I set a hard limit with QOS to the backup server but would like to release the limit and let it use the full pipe after everybody goes home for the day? 

I dont see a way to do that?  possible?

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Hey Tyler.

Not currently. There is a feature request open, but I don't see it being attended any time soon. Specially now that SFOS is the new favorite.

Regards,

Giovani

• bummer.  Guess i'll follow the SFOS builds to see if it gets added there.  I dont want to upgrade the firewall firmware, but will for this feature.

• Hi Tyler and welcome to the UTM Community!

The right place to regulate inbound traffic is at the source.  Do you have UTMs at the remote sites?

It is possible to craft a cron job to accomplish this in the UTM but you will want to have Sophos Support "bless" your use of it:

At the command line as root, find the REF_ of the Download Throttling rule that you want to enable/disable.  Say you've named it Backups:

cc get_object_by_name qos ingress_rule Backups|grep ref

Say that that returns REF_QosIngBackups.  At the command line you can disable that with:

cc change_object REF_QosIngBackups status 0

To enable/disable the rule at 8AM/6PM, add the following lines to /etc/crontab:

0 8 * * * root /usr/local/bin/confd-client.plx change_object REF_QosIngBackups status 1
    0 18 * * * root /usr/local/bin/confd-client.plx change_object REF_QosIngBackups status 0

Finally, to have those lines added to /etc/crontab-static, change the 'Firmware Download Interval' on the 'Configuration' tab of 'Management >> Up2Date', [Apply], change it back [Apply].

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA