This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Setting up 2nd virtual UTM for WebServer Protection

Hello,

This might of been asked before so I apologize if I just missed it. We are running our UTM 9.411-3 on a Virtual Machine. Right now the load(CPU/Memory) is right where I want it. I'm worried that adding WebServer Protection will overload it and cause issues since we will be adding quite a few servers for protection (and get rid of our old equalizers!!). 

The idea that I want to try is adding a second UTM on a different VM just for WebServer Protection. Has there been any guides/knowledge articles written that I can reference? 

Any ideas/comments are greatly appreciated!

~Danny

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • A second device creates licensing issues and configuration complexity.  Why not just increase the resources for the existing VM?

Will the new machine be in-line with the existing machine, or out-of-band for Standard mode proxy only?

• We ended up figuring it out. All we needed to do was forward the web traffic to the new UTM. Thanks!

• Daniel, this is the solution I helped a client configure recently.  Rather than pay for a 150-IP Webserver Protection license, we got a 75-IP license for a second VM and used the first device to provide Network Protection.  Of course, the server IPs are counted by the edge UTM, too.

Cheers - Bob 

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA