This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Skype issues via UTM, but if using VPN it's fine

This is weird. We're having some issues with Skype ATM (using UTM). It's gotten so bad that even the "test call" isn't working (well, you can hear a few words of the prerecorded message, then it goes silent). Note that Skype, in general, works (that is to say, everyone can log in and connections are being established) - it's just that the quality is atrocious to the point where any conversations are impossible.

It doesn't look like our network is overloaded. In fact, if I connected to my home VPN (using my VPN as gateway, thus bypassing the UTM), the Skype "test call" works fine - thus, I suspect this is something wrong on our end, possibly with the UTM itself.

Any idea what could be the issue and / or how to debug this kind of thing?

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Mateusz, what do you learn from doing #1 in Rulz?

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • VPN with automatic rulez = all any any

• I eventually managed to solve it... I think (I guess I'll know for sure on Monday).

It was indeed a blocked port issue. BUT, and this is what threw me off, initially... We've been using Sophos UTM for a few months now and we haven't had any Skype issues... that is, until last Friday, when things started going haywire. What's stranger is that, it wasn't a typical "can't connect, port blocked" case either - as I described, I could log in, I could call people (or the Skype test call service) but the calls would break off after a short while. Text-chat and file transfers via Skype also worked without issues.

This REALLY threw me off and I was thinking this is some kind of performance issue, rather than a blocked-port issue.

Anyway, lesson learned, problem solved.