This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

QOS Interface default mbit/sec

Hi Group,

Back several patches ago, Sophos used to consider a mbit on the interface as 1024.

It does appear as time has gone by, some of the help files now reference an mbit as 1000 scale.

I am curious as to what new installs of Sophos UTM show the default mbit on the internal interface as?  Does your newer Sophos UTM installation under

Interfaces and Routing --> Quality of Service (QOS) --> Internal

show the bandwidth as 1000 or 1024?  All of my sophos installs are a little older and show 1024, but I'm trying to figure out if newer installs show as 1000 Mbit/sec.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Here is my understanding of the issue.

Sophos has changed two things about the way bandwidth is displayed on their modern UTM.  First, Sophos improperly used the 1024 scale instead of the 1000 scale in the past.  Secondly, they also changed the display from kilobits to Mbits.

In the past, if you wanted to put a QOS value of say 20 Megabits on your External interface, you put it in as 20480 kilobits.  Then, in a patch about a year or so ago, Sophos decided to start using Mbit instead of kilobit.  So a patch converted everybody's kilobit to Mbit.  If you originally had 20480 kilobit, after the patch you then had 20.4 Mbit.

But something else happened shortly thereafter.  Sophos decided that the bandwidth scale should no longer be based on 1024, but instead be based on the proper 1000.  They updated all their documentation, but none of the configured values changed.  So where you might be stuck now with a value of 20.4, you need to manually go in and change it to 20.

Hopefully this makes some sense.

Mods, I'm hoping to get a ruling on this from you that it is accurate.

• Here is my understanding of the issue.

Sophos has changed two things about the way bandwidth is displayed on their modern UTM.  First, Sophos improperly used the 1024 scale instead of the 1000 scale in the past.  Secondly, they also changed the display from kilobits to Mbits.

In the past, if you wanted to put a QOS value of say 20 Megabits on your External interface, you put it in as 20480 kilobits.  Then, in a patch about a year or so ago, Sophos decided to start using Mbit instead of kilobit.  So a patch converted everybody's kilobit to Mbit.  If you originally had 20480 kilobit, after the patch you then had 20.4 Mbit.

But something else happened shortly thereafter.  Sophos decided that the bandwidth scale should no longer be based on 1024, but instead be based on the proper 1000.  They updated all their documentation, but none of the configured values changed.  So where you might be stuck now with a value of 20.4, you need to manually go in and change it to 20.

Hopefully this makes some sense.

Mods, I'm hoping to get a ruling on this from you that it is accurate.

Children
No Data