This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

windows update firewall wildcard rules

I need to create firewall (not web filtering) rules to allows access for windows update service. Microsoft's published lists include several wildcard DNS names (e.g. *.updates.microsoft.com)  which I understand are not supported by UTM for firewall rules. I understand the UTM will not accept wildcards or regex for network definitions.

How can I install these firewall rules to accept Windowsupdate access?

Thanks,

Alan

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • The easiest way woud be to use web filtering since you can use regex and wildcards there. Or you install a WSUS and allow only that host to freely connect and the other clients to use WSUS.

If only firewall rules you will have to create destinations for all possible DNS hosts and networks what maybe will result in a frustrating long list. I've tried that with Skype 4 Business URLs and destinations, there where hundreds of definitions to create and even then not all connections where covered since MS hasn't updated their list.

Gruß / Regards,

Kevin
    Sophos CE/CA (XG+UTM), Gold Partner

• The easiest way woud be to use web filtering since you can use regex and wildcards there. Or you install a WSUS and allow only that host to freely connect and the other clients to use WSUS.

If only firewall rules you will have to create destinations for all possible DNS hosts and networks what maybe will result in a frustrating long list. I've tried that with Skype 4 Business URLs and destinations, there where hundreds of definitions to create and even then not all connections where covered since MS hasn't updated their list.

Gruß / Regards,

Kevin
    Sophos CE/CA (XG+UTM), Gold Partner

Children