This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

No internal mail server and mail client can't send or receive mail

Hello,

I did try to search and read what questions had been previously asked, and did not see any related.

1. I am not running any mail server behind my Sophos UTM 9.5.

No pop3 or SMTP proxies enabled.

2. I am using Thunderbird mail client to pop3 mail from GoDaddy.

3. I just build my UTM machine running the free home license, and my mail client worked fine through the Linksys Router / firewall.

4. So no settings have been changed or altered on my Mail client.

5. I have configured the firewall rule for mail & messaging service. Rule is:

Internal (Network),   Email Messaging, Any

I even created a rule internal (network), any,  to any and still does not work.

Should this not let my e-mail client go out to godaddy and pop 3 my mail as well as allow it to also send out my mail?

pop mail server settings for GoDaddy is:

Server name: pop.secureserver.net  port 110

SMTP server:  smtpout.secureserver.net  port 465    Connection Security:  SSL/TLS, using normal password  with my logon and password.

I did run the wizard on startup and thought it would auto create the basic firewall rules as it use to do in previous versions.  If my last old 9.x backup files was not so old, I would try to load the config from it into the system, but wanted to start over nice and fresh clean install.  I can not send or receive mail.

mail manager shows waiting for delivery (spooled) 8 SMTP stored messages.

I looked at the live firewall log but did not see my computer's I.P. in it or any pop3 or SMTP being flagged in the live logs.

As far as I can tell my prime and netflix streaming is working, skype is working, and of course web is, else I could not write this.

Ideas, suggestions? I do have printouts of my old firewall rules and configurations to look back on and the mail messaging rules were followed.

Does the default setup wizard still work in UTM v9.5? I was thinking of factory defaulting the machine and running through the setup wizard again and see if it creates the default firewall rules.

Chad

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • If you can see stuff from the Mail Manager, that means you are using one of the Email Protection features.

Make sure POP3 and SMTP is disabled on Email Protection if you want your traffic to go straight out. Also, make sure the firewall rule you have created has logging enabled.

• Hello, yes, under e-mail protection both pop3 and smtp are off. I have logging set for the e-mail firewall rule. I will test more and see if I can find anything in any logs.

• Ummm. not sure about godaddy and whether they require the same settings for both smtp & pop3 ie SSL or non SSL

As you have stated, you are using port tcp/465 for smtp, you might have to use port tcp/995 for pop3?

Settings are below:

POP without SSL

Server hostname Port SSL Authentication
    Incoming
    POP3
    pop.secureserver.net
    None
    Normal password
    Outgoing
    SMTP
    smtpout.secureserver.net
    25, 80, or 3535
    None
    Normal password
    Username  
    Your email address

POP with SSL

Server hostname Port SSL Authentication
    Incoming
    POP3
    pop.secureserver.net
    SSL/TLS
    Normal password
    Outgoing
    SMTP
    smtpout.secureserver.net
    SSL/TLS
    Normal password
    Username  
    Your email address

• Thank you. I will try that. I am reloading 9.5 on a new computer. I think the little desktop I tried to use is having issues.  Was a core duo, 250 gig drive and 2 gigs ram. Loading on an old monster HP server now for testing and getting the configs all figured out and working. Then back up config and in time load onto a HP dl380 or other and drop the config on. I would loose connection to UTM after just 5 minutes and it has a 30 minute time out, and had to completely web back to it and log in. So I think the first issue was with my hardware. Test server using now is over kill, dual quad core 2.3 with 48 gigs and 10 network ports.  I will be working on this, this week and next weekend. Thank you for the information to check / and try.  I do have all e-mail protection turned off, and never made any changes to firebird mail settings and works through the Netgear router.

Chad

• I have reloaded the system on a server and have no network / internet access. I am going to ask in the main forum. I wish the setup wizard would work like it use to do in 7.x and 8.x, and maybe early 9.x. Once I had everything up and going I just had a backup file e-mailed to me every night and if I had to, I used that backup config to reload. I thought I was going to use XG over UTM so I deleted all my old UTM backup configs, Stupid me, LOL. ANyway i thought it be best to just wipe out and start clean since so much of my network and devices have changed. Back to the drawing board.

Chad

• Resolved. After reloading the system on a new server and getting the NAT set and everything set for most basic operation, everything is working. Able to send / receive pop3 e-mail, skype, web and everything.

Configured the smart agent so that UTM can send me e-mail alerts and backup config files.

I was missing a NAT rule, so that added to issues. Now to see why my definitions are not updating.

Thank you all for the assistance.

Chad